PDA

View Full Version : F26 No GUI after boot but "startx" works

TheFractaler
23rd October 2017, 06:53 PM
I have a problem that I hope not already solved, I tried to look for it on Google but never found anything close. Here is the thing :
I boot normally, I see the fedora logo, then it suddently disapears, and then a commandline appears, where I can log in, and startx normally. Why does the natural boot fail ?
This problem occured at a very specific moment : I tried to uninstall evolution (by dnf remove evolution), didn't looked at all the dependencies, and press enter. The screen went black, then back to command line. Scared, I started X, then reinstalled the package, and the dependencies, which didn't solved the problem...

Any ideas ?
Thank you

jalalsfs
24th October 2017, 12:14 AM
Check your Display Manager, and that depends on what Desktop Environment you are using.
If it's still installed, check the service of it.

nsnbm
24th October 2017, 04:19 AM
TheFractaler wrote:

I tried to uninstall evolution (by dnf remove evolution), didn't looked at all the dependencies, and press enter. The screen went black, then back to command line. Scared, I started X, then reinstalled the package, and the dependencies, which didn't solved the problem...

In this case I would want to know what was removed along with evolution, and then compare that with what was installed when evolution was re-installed. If there is a difference, that may explain the difference in the behaviour of the machine.

You can run:

dnf history list

to get a list of what dnf has done. Determine the ID numbers of the removal and installation of evolution and then run:

dnf history info <ID-of-removal-of-evolution>

and note what was removed, and then run:

dnf history info <ID-of-installation of-evolution>

and compare. If more was removed than installed, then you could install all that was removed that is not installed. This exercise may or may not help, but I guess I'd try it to find out.

RobertStevens
24th October 2017, 06:20 AM
This might be help full

https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/s1-boot-init-shutdown-sysv.html