PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 26 install on laptop

billcu
21st October 2017, 06:47 PM
I have 3x now fresh installed fedora 26 on my Mom's laptop. When I run dnf I get a error concerning updates repo. I have looked this up and what seems to be said in something wrong with the network connection. In my case could it be this. During the install I go to the install page that asks for getting some kind of data from the iso or something else and it's a radio button. I move it to the iso and then back. When I go to the installation page I see that fedora is "gathering metadata". I do this so I don't have to wait all night or an hour or so to start the install. In the EFI system partition I label "/boot/efi" and in the blank area I format a ext3 filesystem. All works except being able to use dnf.
:dis:

I'm gettin kinda tired of this. :confused:

donatom
22nd October 2017, 12:24 AM
What kind of laptop are you using? Is your wifi working after you boot up Fedora? Have you tried using a web-browser? If so, are you able to browse the internet? What wifi driver does your computer use?

billcu
22nd October 2017, 02:52 AM
What kind of laptop are you using? Is your wifi working after you boot up Fedora? Have you tried using a web-browser? If so, are you able to browse the internet? What wifi driver does your computer use?

The driver I am not sure. I installed the LXDE installation once. I used my user name and password to login and couldn't even do that. The OS would just sit there. I reinstalled the minimal install hoping I could use dnf to install more and it doesn't work. I have installed with things set to legacy bios and to UEFI. Same thing each time. I do use unsecure mode. It's a HP red flyer. IN the runlevel 3 I can log in. But not use dnf. I also set the install this time to get metadata from or involving the ISO on the USB. Same results.

donatom
22nd October 2017, 03:43 AM
When I run dnf I get a error concerning updates repo.

The above probably indicates you are not connected to the internet. (it could very well be a problem with a proprietary wifi card.). Is it a Broadcom card?

I am not familiar with HP Red Flyer. What kind of cpu does it have and what graphics card does it have?

You might try connecting it with an ethernet cord and re-install.

Are you saying that you cannot log on to your system? During the install did Anaconda tell you that the install was finished?

billcu
22nd October 2017, 04:00 AM
The above probably indicates you are not connected to the internet. (it could very well be a problem with a proprietary wifi card.). Is it a Broadcom card?

I am not familiar with HP Red Flyer. What kind of cpu does it have and what graphics card does it have?

You might try connecting it with an ethernet cord and re-install.

Are you saying that you cannot log on to your system? During the install did Anaconda tell you that the install was finished?

I will get this info for you but I will not be at her house until tomorrow. I reboot into windows 10 and it's online. I type the wifi key or SSID and the system is provided with DNS server IPs. No with the LXDE I couldn't even log in. I reinstalled over that with the minimal install. It's an intel Nxx something. I wish I had it here with me. It seems to be online with win10 and it's getting IP addresses and DNS IPs. IDK :confused:

OK It's n3540. Is the Intel processor.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Flyer-Red-15-6-15-f272wm-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-N3540-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/46429958?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=8c2092e4-8497-47c3-3ef0-64b51907b2d4&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=8c2092e4-8497-47c3-3ef0-64b51907b2d4&item_id=46429958&parent_anchor_item_id=49332579&parent_item_id=49332579&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=eu1X7u1-uqe_Gug98g6SIA

donatom
22nd October 2017, 04:36 AM
Looks like it uses RTL8188EE wifi card (Realtek). Fedora generally works well with HP with Intel CPU and should work with the Realtek wifi card. Check the checksums with sha256sum. Compare it with the checksums for the iso you used to install on the Fedora download webpage. It could be that the iso is corrupted, etc.

If it is, reinstall and use efi boot.

billcu
22nd October 2017, 06:50 PM
Looks like it uses RTL8188EE wifi card (Realtek). Fedora generally works well with HP with Intel CPU and should work with the Realtek wifi card. Check the checksums with sha256sum. Compare it with the checksums for the iso you used to install on the Fedora download webpage. It could be that the iso is corrupted, etc.

If it is, reinstall and use efi boot.

What about that installer page that talks about mirrors. And something about doing something on the iso? If I don't do something there the installer page about not getting download data will sit all day. Seemingly anyway. IDK if that's right. Would typing in a valid mirror be advisable?

lsatenstein
22nd October 2017, 07:47 PM
What about that installer page that talks about mirrors. And something about doing something on the iso? If I don't do something there the installer page about not getting download data will sit all day. Seemingly anyway. IDK if that's right. Would typing in a valid mirror be advisable?

Mirrors are other locations around the world that carry the identical Fedora software. The intention of mirrors is to allow someone in Russia, to use a local download site, and me to use a local (in my own city) download site.

Mirror accesses generally eliminate the intercity-intercountry-intercontinent internet traffic.

The Fedora download software will evaluate your ip address, and based on that address, choose the fastest mirror closest to you.

billcu
22nd October 2017, 08:46 PM
Mirrors are other locations around the world that carry the identical Fedora software. The intention of mirrors is to allow someone in Russia, to use a local download site, and me to use a local (in my own city) download site.

Mirror accesses generally eliminate the intercity-intercountry-intercontinent internet traffic.

The Fedora download software will evaluate your ip address, and based on that address, choose the fastest mirror closest to you.

It doesn't seem to want to.

billcu
23rd October 2017, 01:18 PM
Well my latest attempt Fedora did get the closest mirror. And I reinstalled. Minimal install. And it still gives me the dnf error. I am really stumped on this one and thanks for all the help but it doesn't seem to be working. RH page says this error is caused by lack of internet connection but would you get an IP if that was the case? I wouldn't think so. I get an IPv6 and IPv4 address displayed. I'm going to let this one go. it's not my machine anyway and I'm dealing with UEFI which is new, but that's not an issue. :C Ok thanks all!