PDA

View Full Version : Fedora server 26 no user login after install

StefaanC
21st October 2017, 10:43 AM
The installation was successful, so raid volume detected, admin password very strict, user password less strict but after the first restart after installation of Fedora server, user can't log in.

And the funny part, I have written down all paswords and user name and checked keyboard entry , for instance start typing the password in the name field and yes, the password is correct. So I'm 100% sure that user name and password are indeed correct so sure no caps lock.

Running on: HP Proliant ML350P
16GB ECC Intel xeon v2

There is a later BIOS but HP refuses to upload it.

What is the smoothest way to fix this issue?

ps: Server is running stable, no errors, tried different usb ports, keyboard performs fine when connected to my windows computer.

StefaanC
21st October 2017, 03:10 PM
Tested a live CD but useless , the mouse is lagging so much that it is unusable.
Seems that fedora has a problem on this HP proliant ML350p

sidebrnz
22nd October 2017, 12:17 AM

StefaanC
22nd October 2017, 01:47 PM
No,

After the installation of Fedora server, so as soon when the setup mentions that all data is saved on the harddisk and asks a reboot, then after the reboot no way to start fedora.

The login is a sort of text console and root login doesn't work for obvious reason .
On this point, no way to start a console as root.
And if user login does not work, high RISC that even root password doesn't work neither.

At grub start and e etc doesn't work neither.

sidebrnz
22nd October 2017, 07:07 PM
What "obvious reason?" I know that you set a root password during installation because Anaconda won't start installing until you've set it and created a user account.

StefaanC
22nd October 2017, 07:49 PM
Any OS whatever it might be should run after installation.
I moved to centOS which has no password problem , stripped further down for security reasons.

So the password problem is a Fedora bug.

Ok I have to admit according to HP any modern linux distro can have a problem.
Older versions like redhat 5 install good but HP what's the point of that huh?

back to the password problem, I tried with E at grub start and so on to fix the password but that did not work under fedora 26.
Ok, I tried the live boot cd but not usefull cause very lagging mouse so very difficult to click on a specific point.
Tried another mouse same result.

And restarting a server takes much longer then a restart of a desktop computer.

sidebrnz
22nd October 2017, 08:39 PM
So what you're saying is, an issue that effects you and nobody else is a distro-specific bug? You might want to think about that. And, what does the time it takes to reboot have to do with anything?

nsnbm
23rd October 2017, 12:25 AM
StefaanC wrote:

grub start and e etc doesn't work neither.
back to the password problem, I tried with E at grub start and so on to fix the password but that did not work under fedora 26.
Ok, I tried the live boot cd but not usefull cause very lagging mouse so very difficult to click on a specific point.
Tried another mouse same result.

Since grub doesn't work, it probably needs to be reinstalled.

To change the password with a live-cd you need to mount the root file system on the hard drive in a chroot and then use the the passwd command to change the passwd. If that chroot can connect to the net then you can reinstall grub with something like: dnf reinstall grub2-efi grub2-efi-modules shim, if it's an efi system. To have this work, the /boot/efi directory needs to be mounted as well. In my own case that directory is under / so gets mounted when / is mounted anyway. You only need a root terminal from the live-cd to run the relevant commands.

lsatenstein
23rd October 2017, 04:07 AM
Sometimes simple things can screw things up. By default, anaconda uses the US keyboard. If at all possible,
use that keyboard during the installation and then switch to the keyboard for your region/language.

I have had issues where terminal mode is out of sync with the anaconda, and special characters such as # $ etc, used in passwords get mapped to wrong or non existent keys

With early versions of F26 and anaconda, I found it dangerous to install Fedora by choosing the final keyboard layout within anaconda. I waited for the first reboot to set the ultimate keyboard layout (in my case ca and fr are two keyboards used here).

If you defer the keyboard setup to post anaconda installation, chose the simplest password for anaconda. After you select the correct keyboard, redo the passwords.

Omega Blue
29th October 2017, 02:19 PM
What you could do is to boot the system with any Linux distro - not just Fedora 26 - on Live CD or USB, mount the file system, zap the passwords, then reboot.

Okay, as long as you don't use some newfangled file system such as the btrfs on your computer.