PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xorg error amdgpu

rarity
18th October 2017, 03:22 PM
I'm trying to remove tearing on my AMD graphic (AMD R5 Carrizo) and this is what I did

create a new file in /usr/share/xorg.conf.d/ called 20-amdgpu.conf

And this is what's inside my 20-amdgpu.conf file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Carrizo"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "Accel" "on"
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

this is what xorg give me when I start it

[ 8170.233] (II) LoadModule: "amdgpu"
[ 8170.233] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module amdgpu
[ 8170.233] (II) UnloadModule: "amdgpu"
[ 8170.233] (II) Unloading amdgpu
[ 8170.233] (EE) Failed to load module "amdgpu" (module does not exist, 0)

Here is the full version: https://pastebin.com/Udwvbutt

More info about my graphic from lspci:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Carrizo (rev ca) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 81f9
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 35
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at f0800000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
Memory at f0500000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: amdgpu

nsnbm
19th October 2017, 12:13 AM
Looking at the Xorg.0.log file, X has loaded the radeon driver, which, as I understand it, is the default for the Radeon card, so if you perhaps blacklist the radeon driver from loading, then X may load the amdgpu you want. I assume the amdgpu driver is installed.

You can get more info from lspci if you run it as root for example: lspci -vvvnnk, but I'm not sure it will tell you any more about this particular problem.

rarity
19th October 2017, 12:50 AM
Looking at the Xorg.0.log file, X has loaded the radeon driver, which, as I understand it, is the default for the Radeon card, so if you perhaps blacklist the radeon driver from loading, then X may load the amdgpu you want. I assume the amdgpu driver is installed.

You can get more info from lspci if you run it as root for example: lspci -vvvnnk, but I'm not sure it will tell you any more about this particular problem.

SOLVED! I guess that helped a little bit. Thanks.

The problem was easy to solve actually. I thought amdgpu was there by default at first but it wasn't so I had to install xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu and I could install it just by using dnf.

nsnbm
19th October 2017, 03:29 AM
Good. The log did state:

[ 8170.233] (EE) Failed to load module "amdgpu" (module does not exist, 0)

but I assumed the amdgpu driver was installed but that X had not detected it for some unknown reason. X has not always been foolproof in the past.

rarity
19th October 2017, 01:31 PM
Good. The log did state:

but I assumed the amdgpu driver was installed but that X had not detected it for some unknown reason. X has not always been foolproof in the past.

Well, what confused me was this:

Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: amdgpu

I thought the driver was installed and in use but I guess it wasn't

nsnbm
20th October 2017, 12:16 AM
Yes, absolutely, got me as well. Should have clicked that the kernel driver is different to the X driver of the same name. Need to read more carefully. But, I'm glad the problem is solved.