PDA

View Full Version : Software is not installing software

theking2
15th October 2017, 08:51 AM
The software application is not working. When I select a software and click Install I get a message about downloading and installing but than the screen goes back to Install and nothing is installed.

Cylon1972
15th October 2017, 09:14 AM
very vague.

please elobarate.

bob
15th October 2017, 12:00 PM
Have you tried opening a terminal, and as root using "dnf install packagename" to see what the response is? CLI will give you details, while the gui simply borks.

Dutchy
15th October 2017, 12:49 PM
Yes, gnome-* has gotten extremely buggy. Avoid it until they get their act together.

powahbrickkilla
15th October 2017, 06:20 PM
I Got A Question, I just upgraded to Fedora 26, And I Just Tried to Install rpm fusion and was told "error can not create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock (permission denied)
And I was running in root when I tried to Install rpmfussion.
Is Fedora 226 that much more different from older spins or am I making a Mistake somewhere and not seeing it?

theking2
16th October 2017, 10:43 PM
Have you tried opening a terminal, and as root using "dnf install packagename" to see what the response is? CLI will give you details, while the gui simply borks.

Thanks! In which version of Fedora will "Software" be removed? And replaced fulll-time with dnf?

PS I love yum.

bob
17th October 2017, 01:32 AM
Software is the front-end for dnf.

srakitnican
17th October 2017, 07:07 AM
Software is the front-end for dnf.

Hmm, no it is not. Gnome Software is front-end for PackageKit. Command line utility is `pkcon`. Dnfdragora on the other hand is.

bob
17th October 2017, 12:17 PM
Sorry, my error.

powahbrickkilla
17th October 2017, 04:23 PM
That Was the First thing I Did. Actualy did about three 3 times with the same results. It's perplexing.

theking2
18th October 2017, 07:52 AM
very vague.

please elobarate.

Clicking Install does not install the software. It is really quite basic. I expect at least an explanation from the software why a certain action failed, or indeed that it failed. Understandably not not doing so causes "vague" messages in fora.

lsatenstein
22nd October 2017, 08:16 PM
Yes, gnome-* has gotten extremely buggy. Avoid it until they get their act together.

I have not found it buggy per sae, but only when Gnome was installed onto a btrfs file system. I use many gnome-shell extensions and truly enjoy Gnome 3.26.1

Gnome 3.27 is being debugged and may be in Fedora 28.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I have not found it buggy per sae, but only when Gnome was installed onto a btrfs file system. I use many gnome-shell extensions and truly enjoy Gnome 3.26.1

Gnome 3.27 is being debugged and may be in Fedora 28. Whlle F27 is to be released in a few days, Fedora 28 is being worked on.

Dutchmaster
25th October 2017, 07:48 AM
try dnfdragora

ongoto
26th October 2017, 08:33 PM
This workstation release is not ready for the public. Why go to the trouble of working on something as great as Fedora, and then make Gnome3 the default desktop???
Frustrating !!

Back to the hunt.

Omega Blue
29th October 2017, 08:05 AM
Thanks! In which version of Fedora will "Software" be removed? And replaced fulll-time with dnf?

PS I love yum.

yum is good but it doesn't help you with dependency issues.
dnf, on the other hand, will help you find and download any dependency packages.