View Full Version : workaround: In XFCE, nm-applet hangs (times out) following FC24 to FC26 upgrade

8th October 2017, 07:47 PM
After upgrading to FC26 from FC24 I observed that nm-applet wouldn't update for quite some time following login. The state of the nm-applet icon wouldn't properly update if I connected a VPN , even after the icon showed up for the first time following login. When nm-applet was launched in the foreground it indicated difficulty reaching notifyd, suggesting a problem wlith libnotify, but when I snooped around, I neither saw a process running nor understood how it was supposed to be launched. I found out that it is a user-based systemd service.

Putting a soft-link under /etc/systemd/user to /usr/lib/systemd/user/xfce4-notifyd.service didn't help. No surprise, since I didn't read about how it was supposed to work.

Instead, while logged in, I went to Settings, Session and Startup, Application Autostart, and created a new entry for "XFCE4 Notify Daemon" with the executable found "/usr/lib64/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd". This caused the service to be started as the user upon login. This seems to give me the desired result since I never log out and back in, I always log in from a fresh power on.

Inspecting a fresh installation by comparison, I found what appears to an expectation that the user profile in the form of per-channel launches the notifier. The entry on my upgraded profile appears similar but hasn't been working properly.

Here's how I found the service definition to add in to Application Autostart:
# grep Exec /usr/lib/systemd/user/xfce4-notifyd.service

Here's how I checked it on the 32-bit system:
# cd
# find . | grep notifyd
# grep Exec /usr/lib/systemd/user/xfce4-notifyd.service

I'm treating this as a workaround, not as a fix. I have no plans to explore the issue any further. I hope this helps others affected by this problem.