PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fail to send encrypted emails using evolution

akoine
4th October 2017, 06:02 PM
Hi there,

I can't send encrypted emails using evolution.
I managed to import my private pgp key, as well as the public key of my intended recipient, using command line. These keys are visible in seahorse.
In my email account properties -> security tab, field "ID of the OpenPGP key" I typed the 8 last digits of my private key (found using the command "gpg --fingerprint"). (sorry if the translation of the tabs and error messages are not perfect, I run a french localised fedora)
Good news is I can decrypt emails sent to me by the recipient mentioned above.

However, when I want to reply, I get the following error message (XXing the keys ID):

Il se peut que vous ayez besoin de choisir d'autres options de messagerie.
Détails de l'erreur : Échec de chiffrement : destinataire 0 XXXXXXXX non valide. Une raison fréquente est que gpg2 n'a pas importé de clé publique pour ce destinataire.
approximate translation :

You may need to select different mail options. Error details : encryption failed : recipient 0 XXXXXXXX is not valid. A common issue is that gpg2 has not imported the public key for this recipient.

From there :
1. If I tick the box "Always encrypt for myself when sending encrypted emails" in the security tab of my email account properties, the XXXXXXXXX of the previous error message are replaced by my pgp key ID (see above)
2. If I do not tick the box "Always encrypt for myself when sending encrypted emails" in the security tab of my email account properties, the XXXXXXXXX are replaced by my recipient email address (for which the public key seems correctly imported since visible in seahorse, see above)

Does any of this sounds familiar to anyone out there ?

Merci beaucoup !!

akoine
1st November 2017, 03:55 PM
Solution found : just tick the box "Always trust keys in my keyring when encrypting" in the security panel of your email account. To do so, from the Evolution Main Menu, select Edit -> Preferences. In the left pane, select Mail Accounts. In the right pane, select the email account you use for Fedora Project correspondence. Then select the Edit button. The Account Editor dialog appears. Select the Security tab. This this guide (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_GPG_with_Evolution) for a screenshot.

Hope this will help somebody else.