PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Latest kernel isn't selected default on boot

yigit
23rd September 2017, 11:10 AM
Hello all...

I am running FEdora 26 32 bit xfce spin on my desktop and a few hours ago I updated kernel from 4.11.8 pae to latest kernel on system updater : 4.12.13 pae . After the kernel upgraded I rebooted my computer but on grub screen I have noticed that latest kernel was not selected, earlier kernel highlighted and booted on this kernel: 4.11.8 and I am not sure what can cause this. and what can I do to boot latest kernel? I am adding SS .

And my desktop is a little old, Intel dual core E5500 cpu 2 GB of Ram G41 onboard intel gpu, and I have installed 32 bit, my quesiton is if I add 2 GB of RAm more, Can I install 64 bit OS, Does my set-up support 64 bit xfce spin with 4 GB of ram? But first , I want to solve that kernel issue....

Thank you in advance, and have a nice autumn :-)

https://i.hizliresim.com/bLlRQZ.jpg (https://hizliresim.com/bLlRQZ)

dswaner
23rd September 2017, 02:32 PM
Try:

sudo grub2-set-default 0

Maybe grubby got confused by the change in kernel names (with and without PAE), and maybe if the next kernel upgrade is also PAE, grubby will handle it correctly.

sudo dmidecode | grep "64"
should tell you if you have 64 bit capable hardware.

yigit
24th September 2017, 03:19 PM
hi... and thank you very much for your reply...

maybe beter If ı don't mess with grub etc...with this command you know, I don't want to make it worse :)

I will wait for another kernel update, since I will do a cean install when Fedoa 37 is released, IT is not a big problem for now...

and other command: could not find anything

jonnier
24th September 2017, 03:26 PM
I will do a cean install when Fedoa 37 is released

You'll be waiting a while for that then :D

lsatenstein
24th September 2017, 03:28 PM
If your computer supports 64 bits, then 2gigs is more than enough to install 64 bit Linux. You may not have good performance if you have too many programs open. Usually, I had no problems running 3 programs at the same time on my 2 gig system.

Four gigs will mean that you can have many programs/files open and still have almost two gigs of free ram

yigit
24th September 2017, 03:38 PM
You'll be waiting a while for that then :D

I hope that Fedora 37 will support 32 bit :)

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I have just checked whether my cpu supports 64 bit or not and saw that cpu (intel dual core E5500) can handle 64 bit...

I don't usually open too many programs, only Firefox and Audacious, so 2 GB of ram seems to be enough for me,

Thank you very much for your reply

dswaner
24th September 2017, 04:19 PM
You can install dmidecode by:

sudo dnf install dmidecode
dmidecode gives some hardware infomation from the BIOS.

nobody
26th September 2017, 11:18 PM
I have just checked whether my cpu supports 64 bit or not and saw that cpu (intel dual core E5500) can handle 64 bit...

https://ark.intel.com/products/42800/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5500-2M-Cache-2_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

:D

_nobody_