PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need help with stuffed partitions

ramzes777
29th August 2017, 09:55 AM
Good evening/day/morning,

I was planning to make it a dual boot laptop with Windows 10/Linux and was working to join a main Windows partition with another one infront of it, when this failed. After PC was restarted and the actual process begun, It was stuck on 0% for about 30m and eventually restarted the machine one more time.

No windows 10 start up recovery tools could fix this mess. This was a 3rd party tool that worked for me beforehand.

What are my options? I have had some data that I sort of need, but can leave without. I booted via Live CD and this is what fdisk produced. Is it possible to mount the partitions in this situation?

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ fdisk -l

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: Permission denied

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Permission denied

fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop0: Permission denied

fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop1: Permission denied

fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop2: Permission denied

fdisk: cannot open /dev/mapper/live-rw: Permission denied

fdisk: cannot open /dev/mapper/live-base: Permission denied

I will appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.

kldixon
29th August 2017, 02:07 PM
fdisk needs to be run as root. IIRC there is no password set for root on the Live DVD so you just do:

$ su -
# fdisk -l

Then you can mount the partitions on the real disks that fdisk lists and see what is on them, e.g.:

# mkdir /mnt/sda1
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
# ls /mnt/sda1
# mkdir /mnt/sdb1
# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
# ls /mnt/sdb1
# umount /mnt/sdb1
# umount /mnt/sda1
# exit

ramzes777
30th August 2017, 01:41 AM
fdisk needs to be run as root. IIRC there is no password set for root on the Live DVD so you just do:

$ su -
# fdisk -l

Then you can mount the partitions on the real disks that fdisk lists and see what is on them, e.g.:

# mkdir /mnt/sda1
# ls /mnt/sda1
# mkdir /mnt/sdb1
# ls /mnt/sdb1
# umount /mnt/sdb1
# umount /mnt/sda1
# exit

Thanks, will try today when at home.

ramzes777
30th August 2017, 11:46 PM

$ su -
# fdisk -l

# mkdir /mnt/sda1
# ls /mnt/sda1
# mkdir /mnt/sdb1
# ls /mnt/sdb1
# umount /mnt/sdb1
# umount /mnt/sda1
# exit

Tried what was suggested. But got the message:

Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I am assuming that Live CD needs NTFS drivers installed as this is a Windows NTFS partition?

ramzes.

antikythera
31st August 2017, 09:36 AM
not necessarily, sda3 could be an OEM or Windows Recovery Partition. Which Live media are you using? If workstation there will be a utility called Disks. Run that and it will show a lot more information about the existing partitions on your SSD. Other images should have GParted which does the same thing but allows you to also edit the partition layout.

kldixon
31st August 2017, 10:21 AM
Also, could you list the output of fdisk -l, run as root, here, in code tags
https://forums.fedoraforum.org/misc.php?do=bbcode#code

Just noticed your other thread.

ramzes777
31st August 2017, 10:46 AM
Sorry for the image quality, for some silly reason the screenshot I've saved on the USB drive on Linux live machine would is not viewable on PC and in Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_k1QgoNT7rILUpSQkh2WmZ3dTZtZEE3aUVWX09GM E1taDg0

ramzes777
31st August 2017, 10:51 AM
Basically where there is free space on the photo is my Primary Windows partition. I run a job of joining with preceding small partition of 500mb, that was unallocated space.
I must say I attempted to use TestDisk to fix it.

antikythera
31st August 2017, 11:19 AM
actually it looks like rather than merge any partitions it's just deleted your windows operating system partition, as there is no way you'd fit windows into a 1 GiB partition.

If it were me, I'd start again from scratch with an empty drive and reinstall windows if you still want it first.

ramzes777
3rd September 2017, 10:17 AM
actually it looks like rather than merge any partitions it's just deleted your windows operating system partition, as there is no way you'd fit windows into a 1 GiB partition.

If it were me, I'd start again from scratch with an empty drive and reinstall windows if you still want it first.

Thank you for your reply. I will just start with a fresh install. As there is no data I horribly need.

ramzes777
9th September 2017, 09:54 AM
Figured out what was the problem.
Disk merge damaged system W10 partition.
Further experiments with testdisk converted my disk type to MBR. I further struggled to change it back to GPT and keep the data and W10 recovery partition.
So I ended up using Diskpart off W10 bootable USB, and removed all partitions and cleared the disk.
Changed disk type to GPT, formatted, partitioned and installed Linux ;)