PDA

View Full Version : Problems with drives when installing Fedora 26

t60mn
24th August 2017, 01:06 PM
I've installed Fedora as my only OS with all default settings.
When I chosed the drive in the installation I clicked delete all and then reclaimed (I've only 1 drive with ~250gb).
It said 50gb root 179 gb home 7.7 gb swap.
But after the installation I get this:

http://i.imgur.com/fgwj5q8.png

Where is my remaining space?

AlexTheoto
24th August 2017, 02:23 PM
What's the output of

lsblk
df -h

t60mn
24th August 2017, 02:58 PM
What's the output of

lsblk
df -h

https://i.stack.imgur.com/SPo0x.png

http://imgur.com/download/NgMr9Gs

I see now that the 176 gb is there.
But how can I know how much free space I have without accesing these commands?

AlexTheoto
24th August 2017, 05:52 PM
It is written on your first image.
Also, don't use images for command output. You just copy-paste it.

EDIT: Also, baobab (I don't remember desktop's app name) is useful.

SteveGYBE
24th August 2017, 06:19 PM
As you are using LVM for your Fedora installation, use the LVM commands:
pvs - display your physical volume configuration
vgs - volume group configuration
lvs - logical volume configuration
"pvs" should display your physical volume (/dev/sda3) used by LVM and the amount of space allocated to LVM logical volumes and the remaining unallocated space, which is probably what you are looking for. This unallocated space may be used to extend existing logical volumes or create new LVs.

rclark
24th August 2017, 07:45 PM
baobab is nice.

dnf -y install baobab

Note run it as root to see everything. If you use sudo, then -> sudo baobab. I personally always drop to the root prompt with 'su -' command and then run commands I need root access for.

Personally I just use the command line tools. quicker and easier to just do a df -h, or free -h, or ... whatever. Command line rocks.

I don't know why Fedora's Anaconda installer still 'defaults' to LVM for general use. In my case it just isn't useful (I bet for most users as well). I make sure I use straight ext4 for all disks on install.

amiga
24th August 2017, 11:45 PM
All of your disk space is accounted for. There is confusion due to two different units being used GB and GiB where 1 GiB = 1.07374 GB.

The graphic for the Computer icon is only for the root partition / and shows ouput in GB (powers of 1000). The free space for the /home partition would be on another icon.

From man df:

-h, --human-readable
print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G)

-H, --si
likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024

Therefore df -h outputs in GiB (powers of 1024)

The df output shows a size for / of 49 GiB which is 52.6 GB which is shown in the graphic.

The lsblk output shows the size of sda as 238.5 G which is actually GiB. 238.5 GiB = 256 GB so this looks to be a 256 GB SSD.

The lsblk graph shows that all of this space is accounted for as all partitions add up to 238.5.

Most of your free space is in the /home partition which is only 1% used. You have 167 GiB = 179.3 GB free.

Google has a good online converter for units of all kinds. Just Google "gib to gb" and you will see it.

antikythera
25th August 2017, 07:53 AM
if using workstation check out Disks. it is far easier for people more used to a graphical interface to make sense of.