PDA

View Full Version : crypt for Fedora 26

hankosaurus
22nd August 2017, 10:05 PM
Hello Fedora Forum.

Back in the 80s I was using UNIX. I wrote a number of shell scripts which called the UNIX crypt command to encrypt and decrypt files. I still have some encrypted files from those days and would like to run the shell scripts that decrypt them.

I cannot find a crypt command for Fedora 26. Is there one that works like the UNIX crypt in Fedora 26? When I loaded Ubuntu on a laptop several years ago I found a command called ccrypt that worked okay in that environment. Now I am looking to do the same with Fedora 26.

Thanks!

dd_wizard
22nd August 2017, 10:37 PM
The crypt (unix) wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypt_(Unix)) has links to the source and to a couple of programs to crack crypt files. Apparently, it's a very weak encryption tool.

dd_wizard

RupertPupkin
23rd August 2017, 02:34 AM
Fedora 26 has the mcrypt utility, compatible with the old UNIX crypt. It's in the repos:

dnf install mcrypt

hankosaurus
23rd August 2017, 07:56 AM
Hello dd_wizard and RupertPupkin.

That's what I needed. Thank you both. Yes, I have heard that the UNIX crypt command is pretty weak by present day standards. I have also read that it has similarities to the enigma encryption scheme from the WWII era. mcrypt will work fine for my immediate purposes. Downloaded it and it's working as advertised. It even has a UNIX like option.

dodona
23rd August 2017, 04:30 PM
you can also download Corinna's cygwin crypt, which is build under linux easily: https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/crypt.git

dodona
23rd August 2017, 09:05 PM
additional info: download the source from here (or any other mirror) ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/x86_64/release/crypt/ untar the archives, copy this Makefile into your build folder and run make && make install

#
TARGET = crypt
INSTALLDIR=/usr/local/bin
# LIBS = -lgdbm
CC = gcc
CFLAGS = -Wall -Os -ffast-math -march=native
LDFLAGS=-s

.PHONY: default all clean

default: $(TARGET)
all: default

OBJECTS = $(patsubst %.c, %.o, $(wildcard *.c))
HEADERS = $(wildcard *.h)

%.o: %.c $(HEADERS)
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

.PRECIOUS: $(TARGET) $(OBJECTS)

$(TARGET): $(OBJECTS)
$(CC) $(LDLAGS) $(OBJECTS) -Wall $(LIBS) -o $@

install:
install $(TARGET) $(INSTALLDIR)

clean:
-rm -f *.o
-rm -f $(TARGET)