PDA

View Full Version : Boot issue after upgrading to F26

esbennn
16th August 2017, 11:26 AM
Hi!

I just upgraded to F26 via command line.
Update seemed to go fine, but after the final reboot, it sort of froze with the blue fedora logo and the mouse cursor in the middle.
It now does this on boot regardless of which kernel i boot. Hitting Caps Lock and Num Lock does not change the LED status on the keyboard, and after a few seconds the monitors turn off.

However, i have found that booting to run level 3 and running
startx works just fine.

Whether Wayland is enabled in
/etc/gdm/custom.conf makes no difference.

It's cool that i can boot and all, but i'd like to not have to go through the hassle of editing boot options every time i need to boot.

Any suggestions out there?

nsnbm
18th August 2017, 12:09 AM
Dunno what the problem is. I presume f25 ran okay. I would check that graphical.target is set and enabled. It probably is, but you can do that by having a look at
/etc/systemd/system/defautl.target to see if it points to graphical.target. If not you can set it with:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

And then you could enable that with:

systemctl enable graphical.target

and reboot. You can do all that anyway to make sure.

None of this may help. Maybe there's something in the journal when the gui fails. You could boot up and let the gui fail, and then boot again running startx successfully and then run:

journalctl -b -1

to show the boot before last, which was the failed gui boot, and sift through the errors messages if there are any.

Gnome uses lots of resources which may or may not be part of the problem, so you might consider installing a lighter desktop environment like lxde, xfce or just a window manager and see if that boots to a gui.