PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I run GUI application inside (within) terminal window ?

User808
10th August 2017, 03:13 PM
Can I run GUI application inside (within) terminal window ?

My aim is that:

Currently the strongest PDF GUI program on Linux is jPDFTweak. But it has no PDF build in viewer. For that, to achieve certain functions like adding or build outlines for PDF, I need to open PDF by other viewer program like Okular to see exact position within page to set an outline on it.

My thought is to use "tmux" by creating two vertical fields, then run jPDFTweak within (inside) one of these 2 vertical sector & run PDF viewer inside 2nd vertical sector.

Is this possible ? If there is an option to run a GUI application within (inside) window of terminal itself, then this will work certainly on tmux .... .

Best.

srakitnican
10th August 2017, 04:04 PM
Not sure what you are tying to do but GUI and terminal does not go well together. Maybe what you want is tiling window manager such as i3.

smr54
10th August 2017, 04:49 PM
I just tried opening a full screen tmux terminal and dividing it into two half windows. I then opened a pdf using xpdf in one window. The pdf covered both tmux windows. You might, as srakitnican says, might like using a tiling window manager. I use dwm. Here's my page on it with a link to a much better page, the Debian forums article

http://srobb.net/dwm.html

User808
16th August 2017, 01:31 PM
Thank you for your kind replies & help.

In fact no need for all that ! I discover how to solve this:
I'm on Cinnamon & it has built-in tiling window options. Simply - without any custom configration - it working by default as following:

1) open pdf by Okular (as viewer), then
2) press super+left arrow to make Okular at left half of screen, then
3) open jPDFTweak. Then
4) press super+right arrow to make jPDFTweak occupy right half of screen.
5) now use jPDFTweak to select same pdf & start your work !

It is super+left arrow, super+right arrow, super+up arrow are shortcut for tiling window on Cinnamon

Best.

smr54
16th August 2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you fixed it. :)