PDA

View Full Version : Very Quick How-To

crackers
9th January 2005, 05:53 AM
Y'all know that SSH makes a lot of use of encryption and keys, which is why it's so much more secure than telnet. There are also facilities to transfer the user credentials (keys) so that the SSH daemon will auto-magically recognize your login and you won't have to type a password. The procedure isn't hard, but there's a couple of steps required.

However, since this is a Very Quick How-To, I've attached a script that does the grunt work for you.

It is strongly recommended that you do NOT run this script as root or use it to authenticate as root on the remote host!

Use at your own risk, of course. I've not had any problems, but that's no guarantee.

tajidinabd
9th January 2005, 06:18 AM
why do i keep getting permission denied when i try to ssh to my machine
i am typing the correct password i had ssh working but now nothing keep getting permission denied

crackers
9th January 2005, 08:01 PM
You need to provide more information - did you use this script? Which user did you run the script as? Which user are you trying to login as?

bitsofme
19th February 2005, 03:08 PM
Just out of intrest ...

At work I use Windows but have set up a ssh to my machine at home with putty to make use of my squid proxy server, Our firewall has a block list and our support company takes a while to unblock, and vnc.

If i set up SSH keys how secure would this be as others have access to my machine, how do I protect the keys.
Or is this a question better asked to the putty people.

Thanks all

crackers
19th February 2005, 06:58 PM
I'd ask the putty folks, but if you feel your Windows machine is "secure" (everybody stop laughing - it [i]could[/b] be, kinda), I'd say you're probably okay. I only use the above method for very long and convoluted passwords, chosen precisely for this kind of login. Or only "internally" - such as on the company's inside network and not on any peripheral hosts.