PDA

View Full Version : Opera fails to start under F26, was fine with F25

bill.damage
26th July 2017, 10:51 AM
/usr/lib64/opera/opera: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libharfbuzz.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Get_Var_Blend_Coordinates

Server has been successively upgraded through all the earlier versions for years in case that's any help. I did some Googling and it throws up references to old fonts, but I'd like to know if that really is the issue and how it should be dealt with properly and safely.

Everything else works fine, in fact it's a nice job.

antikythera
26th July 2017, 11:00 AM
which build of opera are you using? the fedora repository one or upstream from opera's own repository?

bill.damage
26th July 2017, 11:01 AM
[SOLVED]

You put me on the right lines. I did a dnf uninstall opera, then followed the instructions here http://rpm.opera.com/manual.html but used "opera-stable" rather than "opera-developer".
Thanks.

antikythera
26th July 2017, 11:17 AM
look in the folder etc/yum.repos.d for an opera.repo file. if it isn't there you are running the fedora build.

have you tried re-installing the browser anyhow?

antikythera
26th July 2017, 11:22 AM
possibly an issue with infinality fonts if you have them installed. it's not compatible with freetype currently.

LongTimeDabbler
8th August 2017, 08:21 PM
In my case it wasn't just Opera it was the entire gdm/Wayland subsystem after F25 to F26 upgrade.

Booted into single user mode, saw the error message in the logs to do with the missing symbol, did a

rpm -qa | grep infinality

and then did a

sudo dnf remove blah

for each of the packages that came up.