PDA

View Full Version : F25 to 26 upgrade issues



gurutech
25th July 2017, 03:04 AM
Got a notice on my F25 box that an update to F26 was available, so I clicked the link to open the software update page. Clicked Download to download and install, but this failed, so I went to a terminal session and ran "dnf update --releasever=26"

Ran fine for the most part, but just before it started "verifying" the updates, the terminal window closed down.

Opened a new terminal window and ran the dnf update again, it found a few new updates and installed those with no problem. Ran "reboot" to reboot the OS, and it rebooted just fine.

The problem is that when I go to login, it takes my password, and then returns to the login screen. I know it's not a password issue because if I type in the wrong password on purpose, it tells me the password is incorrect.

I've also tried logging in as "root", and that does the same thing.

Tried rebooting again, and going back on entry on the boot menu, but still doing this.

How can I fix this?

gurutech
25th July 2017, 03:15 AM
Seems to just be a login issue. I can access the file shares from this computer with no problems.

Still looking for a solution though...

alphacrucis
25th July 2017, 02:22 PM
What happens if you boot the previous kernel?

jwmueller
25th July 2017, 06:42 PM
Which desktop are you using? Does it crash at logon? Try another?

gurutech
26th July 2017, 01:52 AM
I've tried booting to all previous kernels in the grub list, including the "recovery" one. They all do the same thing.

Using Gnome Desktop. It doesn't "crash" per se, it just returns me to the login screen.

kurtdriver
26th July 2017, 03:46 AM
One thing you might try is a different login manager, LDM for instance. You should be able to boot the computer from a live-cd, or USB or whatever and then use chroot to get into the computer's system. You should then be able to run
dnf install LDM . It might be called LightDM or some such thing.

gurutech
26th July 2017, 03:59 AM
ok, just restored to a previous snapshot, ensured all applications were shut down, then ran the upgrade/install again and it went through successfully.

Still not sure what happened, but I'm officially upgraded now.