PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 25 to 26 experience

CrazyCaver
20th July 2017, 02:15 PM
Hello everyone -

I have now upgraded all of my Fedora 25 machines to 26. After three or four days of running, here are some notes about my experience.

Generally speaking the upgrade went very smoothly. I used the "dnf system-upgrade" method on all my systems. It takes several hours to download and several more hours to run, but otherwise is pretty easy.

As others have noted, the package "sox-plugins-freeworld" must be uninstalled. Now that mp3 tools are in the base system, this package is obsolete.

VirtualBox guests must have guest additions 5.1.23 or later. They released 5.1.24 just two days ago! Version 5.1.22 and earlier will not install.

Somehow a required package for k3b did not get installed. I had to add cdrskin manually. Without it k3b will not burn a disc.

The configuration for Krusader got lost. I had to reconfigure from scratch. I also had to reconfigure my default applications to use it as the default file system browser. The Krusader icon I had pinned to the start menu got lost - pointing to outer space. I had to delete and re-add it.

The configuration for kmail got lost. I had to reconfigure my imap account configuration, then re-create all of the filter rules. Fortunately the address book survived!

Tellico now includes an option to read CD-TEXT data from an audio disk. That option has been missing for several years, probably due to compiling error by the package maintainer.

I had to modify /etc/nsswitch.conf. The "hosts:" line was modified to include mDNS which does not work for me. The result was that name resolution totally failed. I changed the line to

hosts: files dns myhostname

This problem did not appear on every machine I upgraded, which is curious.

One of my laptops now has TWO BlueTooth icons in the system tray area. One is for Blueman and the other for BlueZ. I have not figured out how to get it down to one. My bluetooth mouse works, so it is more annoying than a real problem.

Blueman constantly asks for the root password so it can configure bluetooth networking. I think I figured out how to turn that off. I don't need or want bluetooth networking.

The initial window size for many (but not all!) applications got lost. They suddenly start in much smaller windows than I had under F25.

One very pleasant surprise was how one system dealt with the proprietary nVidia driver. I expected to have it fail on reboot with a missing X driver. Somehow, perhaps through dkms magic, it managed to install the nVidia driver on the new kernel. Cool!

The default viewer for PDF files got changed to "Document Viewer". I had to change it back to Okular. Neither of them is a great viewer, but Okular seems to be less troublesome. Even so, I have some PDF files that take 4 or 5 minutes to open in either viewer. Not large files, either! About two megabytes and one page. They are chock-full of vectors and neither application handles vectors well. Adobe Reader on a Windows computer will open the files in a few seconds.

I will probably come up with other stuff, but this is a good start.

Bill Gee

antikythera
20th July 2017, 04:12 PM
thanks for the comprehensive write up and pointers to some issues. regarding blueman just remove it if you aren't using it. that problem is solved too then. the second icon will be blueberry which is blueman's replacement in fedora 26. for some reason upgraded systems retain blueman.

HaydnH
21st July 2017, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone -
The default viewer for PDF files got changed to "Document Viewer". I had to change it back to Okular. Neither of them is a great viewer, but Okular seems to be less troublesome. Even so, I have some PDF files that take 4 or 5 minutes to open in either viewer. Not large files, either! About two megabytes and one page. They are chock-full of vectors and neither application handles vectors well. Adobe Reader on a Windows computer will open the files in a few seconds.

Try mupdf, I find mupdf is an excellent lightweight viewer which renders accurately. For example, if I create a LibreOffice document containing a table with 2 cells of the same background colour and 0 border and save it as a PDF I expect to see a single rectangle all the same colour. Unfortunately most of the Linux viewers I use seem to render a "gap" between table cells, mupdf shows it as a solid colour as intended. However, it is keyboard based though, so you need to type "/" for search etc which probably isn't to everyone's tastes. Evince is another good one for the more mouse friendly people.

CrazyCaver
22nd July 2017, 06:46 PM
Hi Antikythera - Thanks! I did not realize blueman was that easy to uninstall. I feared it was baked in to the system. I did a "dnf remove" on it and now no longer get bothered about bluetooth networking at login.

Hi HaydnH - I installed mupdf, but no luck. It will not display my cave maps at all. The only thing it shows is a blank white window. There are no scroll bars and I cannot drag anything around on it. It DOES come up quick, about 15 seconds or so. That's not much good if it cannot display the document.

I tried Evince long ago. It is no faster at rendering cave maps than anything else. About the only application I have not tried is the Linux version of Adobe Reader.

Bill Gee