PDA

View Full Version : Enlightenment & FC3

FlyBoyZ
7th January 2005, 08:37 PM
It's been a while since I've run Linux so please excuse the NUB question, but the last time I ran X it was invoked with "startx" with either a .xsession or .Xinitrc files sinning in your homedir. I've installed FC3 and DL'd E16 and cant figure out how to use E as my Windowmanager. I've run switchdesk but it doesnt show up there. Where are the X configu files now or is there a better way to start it ???

Thanks,

FlyBoyZ

Jman
8th January 2005, 02:18 AM
You did install the rpm, correct?

switchdesk should do enlightenment, at least it did on FC2. It even accepts just E.

But you don't need that, just run
cp /usr/share/switchdesk/Xclients.enlightenment ~/.Xclients-$HOSTNAME$DISPLAY And if that doesn't work and you don't want Gnome just do
cp /usr/share/switchdesk/Xclients.enlightenment ~/.Xclients-default
This is essentially what switchdesk does, just copying a short script to your home directory.

FlyBoyZ
9th January 2005, 07:00 AM
Jman,

Thanks...worked like a champ. I had compiled E from source and not RPM. It's working fine now however.

Thanks again.

danch
11th January 2005, 08:19 AM
I'd like to run enlightenment _with_ gnome. This was possible a whle back, but the old window manager selection caplet seems to have disappeared. I've gone into gconf and set the 'current' key in /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager' to /usr/bin/enlightenment, but gnome seems pretty adament in using metacity. Have the gnome folks decided to lock users in "for their own good" while I've been away?

danch
11th January 2005, 09:06 AM
OK, got it. I had to use the 'sessions' control panel to kill metacity and remove it from my session, then start enlightenment from an xterm, then twiddle to restart in my session.

On to chrome heaven.