PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot change Xfce Panel Font

bobx001
13th February 2017, 11:13 AM
Hello guys,

for the life of Enki I cannot change the font shown in my panel.
here:
http://www.servermasters.com/stuff/xfce_panel_font.png

I've tried, everything, theme manager, Appearance, change of theme, change of WM, change of anything, and this font never changes.

Any ideas ? maybe an .rc file ?

PabloTwo
13th February 2017, 03:32 PM
I've been using Xfce for a long time now. Your question here got me to looking. Surprise, I couldn't find an easy configuration switch to select a font. But grepping for "font" in the multitude of Xfce *.xml configuration files gave me the hint.

Applications > Settings Editor > xsettings

Then find the "FontName" property. Mine is set to "Sans 10". This is in the ".config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml" file.

bobx001
13th February 2017, 04:07 PM
Yes, Applications -> Settings -> Settings Editor --> xsettings

double clicked on the Font, and typed "Sans" (since I saw that everywhere, I must assume it will work)
then hit Enter, and voilla !

http://www.servermasters.com/stuff/xfce_panel_font_pablo_solution.png

Well Pablo, you know the saying, if you had .................., I'd marry you !!!!

LOOL cheersola, SOLVED

PabloTwo
13th February 2017, 04:39 PM
... if you had .................., I'd marry you !!!!
Sorry, already taken.

On another but somewhat similar note, since I see you prefer "dark" themes, as do I. I recently found one that works really well in Xfce with GTK3/xfwm4 called "Plasma". The theme package comes with 3 choices, Fire (red), Bolt (blue) and Shock (green I think). Those colors are just for highlighted tabs, slider bars, etc. Supports gtk2/3 and comes with a matching xfwm4 component.

Some of my older favored gtk2 dark themes no longer displayed some of the fonts correctly on the desktop. But the Plasma theme is great and is now doing duty on both my F25 laptop and desktop PC.

bobx001
13th February 2017, 04:59 PM
Sorry, already taken.

On another but somewhat similar note, since I see you prefer "dark" themes, as do I. I recently found one that works really well in Xfce with GTK3/xfwm4 called "Plasma". The theme package comes with 3 choices, Fire (red), Bolt (blue) and Shock (green I think). Those colors are just for highlighted tabs, slider bars, etc. Supports gtk2/3 and comes with a matching xfwm4 component.

Some of my older favored gtk2 dark themes no longer displayed some of the fonts correctly on the desktop. But the Plasma theme is great and is now doing duty on both my F25 laptop and desktop PC.

Absolutely !!!
Plasma Fire installed and r0xing.
I can now successfully deluser test and all the destruction I caused on my test laptop, and start working again on my big beast.

http://www.servermasters.com/stuff/finally_working_qt_on_fc25_and_plasma.png

Now I have to only solve the select color. It seems to be transparent atm, but I'll fix that.

EDIT: oh, and the marriage proposal was just a figure of speech, I am also well married, to a nice Japanese lady, happily ever after !

bobx001
13th February 2017, 07:22 PM
To solve the almost invisible select problem of the Plasma Fire theme,

I added 4 new vaiables in about:config

ui.textHighlightBackground
ui.textHighlightForeground
ui.textSelectBackground
ui.textSelectForeground

I set my backgrounds to orange and yellow, and foregrounds to black.
seems to work fine. Although sometimes it is actually reversed. I think it depends on the css of the web page.