PDA

View Full Version : Dell XPS 13 9350 fixing long shutdowns

stratacast1
4th February 2017, 04:56 AM
If you're like me and saw the Dell XPS 13 9350, XPS 15 9550 or similar models and thought it to be a good laptop for Linux, you may have found it also may have came with a couple weird quirks. For me, you could see errors encountered at boot and shutdown pertaining to the lovely Broadcom 4352 wireless module. For me, I found it was also the source of my XPS frequently taking minutes to shutdown. You might also wind up being VERY unlucky like me and one day booting into your laptop to find your Broadcom drivers failing to load and actually preventing the boot sequence from entirely finishing. That ultimately became the final straw for me and my rocky relationship with Broadcom.

I got the Intel 8260 wireless NIC card for my XPS 13 9350 and this did multiple things for me:

I am no longer reliant on proprietary wireless drivers
I don't encounter errors in my boot
My computer shuts down properly and no longer takes minutes
My Internet speeds actually got significantly better

If you have one of these Dell XPS laptops and find you are having similar problems to what I listed, type "lspci -k" and look for the wireless controller. If you see Broadcom in there, you should be able to fix your problems just by replacing your wireless NIC with an Intel 8260.

I hate working on laptops like this, so if you aren't confident with your hardware skills consider look at hiring someone. I found popping off the battery connector was hopeless and awkward so I didn't disconnect the battery (for better or worse). The chip came out easily, just requiring a small Philips head screwdriver. The one thing I had troubles with was snapping the wires back onto my new chip. That was the hardest part for me. Once everything is put back together your Wifi and bluetooth will work out of the box and you can remove your broadcom driver filth.

As far as I could tell, I didn't see any anti-tamper materials in the computer that would reveal you doing out-of-warranty repairs. But for $30, I think this is absolutely worth doing