PDA

View Full Version : [SOLUTION]Getting canon pixma mp490 scanner recognized after Fedora 24 upgrade

donatom
1st October 2016, 04:32 PM
I've had problems over the years getting my canon pixma mp490 scanner recognized. At first (Fedora 19) I installed the proprietary drivers (including scanner) for the mp490. That worked until I updated to Fedora 20. Then I installed gutenprint from the fedora repositories which enabled the computer to print and scan with the mp490. Recently I upgraded to Fedora 24 and, although the canon printer would still print, I could not get the mp490 scanner to be recognized. I reinstalled gutenprint, xsane, etc to no avail.

I then looked through the repositories for sane (after having googled extensively without finding a solution) and spotted "sane-backends" which I had never installed. After installing via dnf, my canon scanner was immediately recognized and was able to scan again.

This is how I found sane-backends (I realize that to many users this is quite obvious):

# dnf search sane

Here are the results (found near the bottom of the dnf print-out):

xsane.x86_64 : X Window System front-end for the SANE scanner interface
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.x86_64 : SANE backend drivers for scanners
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.i686 : SANE backend drivers for scanners
libsane-hpaio.x86_64 : SANE driver for scanners in HP's multi-function devices
libsane-hpaio.i686 : SANE driver for scanners in HP's multi-function devices

robertdaleweir
6th October 2016, 07:39 AM
I've had problems over the years getting my canon pixma mp490 scanner recognized. At first (Fedora 19) I installed the proprietary drivers (including scanner) for the mp490. That worked until I updated to Fedora 20. Then I installed gutenprint from the fedora repositories which enabled the computer to print and scan with the mp490. Recently I upgraded to Fedora 24 and, although the canon printer would still print, I could not get the mp490 scanner to be recognized. I reinstalled gutenprint, xsane, etc to no avail.

I then looked through the repositories for sane (after having googled extensively without finding a solution) and spotted "sane-backends" which I had never installed. After installing via dnf, my canon scanner was immediately recognized and was able to scan again.

This is how I found sane-backends (I realize that to many users this is quite obvious):

# dnf search sane

Here are the results (found near the bottom of the dnf print-out):

xsane.x86_64 : X Window System front-end for the SANE scanner interface
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.x86_64 : SANE backend drivers for scanners
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.i686 : SANE backend drivers for scanners
libsane-hpaio.x86_64 : SANE driver for scanners in HP's multi-function devices
libsane-hpaio.i686 : SANE driver for scanners in HP's multi-function devices

Hi donatom

Is there a question here or is this already solved by yourself? If the issue is solved just mark this thread as Solved by using the Thread Tool above. Thanks...

antikythera
6th October 2016, 09:07 AM
it's sharing of information rather than a question I believe. as such I'll modify the title to reflect it

donatom
10th October 2016, 02:24 AM
Thanks, Antikythera.