PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Locking up Dell PowerEdge 1750 and 1650 when stoping and starting Tomcat

mmoritomo
4th January 2005, 06:30 PM
We are experiencing Fedora 2.6.5-1.327 locking up on Dell PowerEdge 1750 and 1650's. Locking up meaning SSH has stopped responding and hard power cycle is the only way to recover. This usually happens when stopping and restarting TomCat. However, we have noticed on other servers not running Tomcat locking up the same way. Does anybody have a good way to trace what could be locking up these Fedoras on Dells???

mmoritomo
5th January 2005, 10:39 PM
So far we have tried the following and system still locks up when we stress tested and ran a while loop to start and stop Tomcat:
1) upgrade BIOS from A08 to A11
2) tried non-smp kernel
3) tried IBM JVM
4) now, we are moving to Fedora Core 3. Cross your fingers. I will note in here if the kernel upgrade fixes the system lock up problem.

mmoritomo
6th January 2005, 12:38 AM
Good News! I was able to successfully stop/restart Tomcat 104 times with no sign of system lock/hang after kernel upgraded to Fedore Core 3. Before the kernel upgrade, the system lock/hang would occur between 4 to 17 recycles (5-10 mins). My stress test started at 17:31 CST and ended at
18:24 CST. This issue can be marked as resolved by Kernel upgrade.

james_in_denver
6th January 2005, 01:29 AM
Well I see immediately that you were trying to install a "development/test" version of the kernel, and NOT an official release.

While development kernels should be largely stable, there are no gaurentees. IMHO, it's probably best that only fully released, non-development kernels, be used for production/daily usage installs.

Just my 2 cents worth.....