PDA

View Full Version : Suspend and Resume issues on Asus A555D and Fedora 24

temjin747
3rd August 2016, 05:41 PM
Hello all,

I have an Asus A555D laptop. I have it set to dual boot with Windows 10. I'm running Fedora 24 XFCE. I have an issue where after doing a resume from suspend (closing lid, from menu) where the system seems to come back on but there is a black screen and the keyboard and mouse aren't functional. As a result, I'm forced to restart the laptop using the power button.
This issue has been present since Fedora 23. Can someone please help me troubleshoot and hopefully solve the problem? Please let me know what I need to provide and I'll be happy to post.

Thank you!

jpquinn
3rd August 2016, 06:59 PM
Non-issue at this time. I've switched to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Linux Kernel 4.4) for a specific hardware/driver support for USB WiFi connectivity issues that Fedora couldn't work with as their higher version of kernel in F24. Ubuntu 15.10 had the same issues with sleep/wake cycles as did F24. I have not had Ubuntu 16.04 LTS up and tested long enough to say it's any better or worse.

temjin747
13th August 2016, 03:39 AM
I think figured out what the reason is. I have a Logitech wireless mouse, and it uses the tiny USB adapter. If it is in the usb port (specifically the one on the right, I haven't checked the others) and I go into suspend then I get the black screen. If I take it out before I go into suspend then I resume with no problem. I will check a few more times and check the other USB ports and will post another update.

jpquinn
13th August 2016, 03:54 AM
I think figured out what the reason is. I have a Logitech wireless mouse, and it uses the tiny USB adapter. If it is in the usb port (specifically the one on the right, I haven't checked the others) and I go into suspend then I get the black screen. If I take it out before I go into suspend then I resume with no problem. I will check a few more times and check the other USB ports and will post another update.

I too have this box, and a Logitech Unifying Tiny USB adapter, in the USB port on the right, (USB 2.0). And I had the issue with the PC waking up all the time when it wasn't supposed to in Win10. I ended up using various techniques Googled up to turn off the USB ports when the unit was asleep. I never had a chance to check it out much in Fedora.

Now, for a few weeks, I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and it's running on a USB NIC Adapter with custom driver for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running on Linux 4.4.x.

I have sleep/waked it many times, and it's flawless. Ubuntu 15.10 and Fedora 24 all seemed to have the same issues in regards to sleep/wake, and staying asleep, as well as the built in WIFI unstable connection.

Did you get the built-in RealTek WiFi, or did your work around it in the same fashion I did?

temjin747
2nd September 2016, 08:59 PM
So after installing KDE plasma, the suspend issue is there whether there is anything connected in the USB port or not. Even after installing the latest updates resume doesn't work properly.

As far as the wifi goes, I explained in the wifi thread that I used a Panda USB wifi adapter and that worked fine. No need to install the driver, it worked after plugging it in.

jpquinn
2nd September 2016, 10:35 PM
So after installing KDE plasma, the suspend issue is there whether there is anything connected in the USB port or not. Even after installing the latest updates resume doesn't work properly.

As far as the wifi goes, I explained in the wifi thread that I used a Panda USB wifi adapter and that worked fine. No need to install the driver, it worked after plugging it in.

I cant recall if you're dual booted, I was with Win10, and a recent Windows upgrade come along a week ago, and ruined the boot loaders, sectors and trashed the laptops HDD unbootable. So I bought a Macbook Pro, and the VM software called Parallels, and installed Win10 and Ubuntu as VM's that way. I have no issues with connectivity, video drivers, sleep/wake, etc.. I can not run Steam on Ubuntu, I tried had errors, I suspect a VM related issue. I may try to get it going on Windows, or Mac OSX.

temjin747
2nd September 2016, 10:52 PM
Yes, I am and still dual booting. The big Windows 10 update didn't mess anything up on my HDD, I was still able to access both Windows and Fedora, although I did have some Windows related issues. Sorry to see that you had to buy a new laptop, hopefully this one will server you better.

jayfree
11th September 2016, 05:05 AM
To answer your original question, try adding acpi_sleep=s3_bios to the boot options line. If that doesn't work try looking up one of the million other boot options. I spent all day before I finally found the one that worked for me, I will help you if I can.