PDA

View Full Version : Refresh Rate / Resolution - Manual Change ...

dEvElZ
3rd January 2005, 09:36 PM
I have an ATI Radeon 7000 video card and a Siemens Nixdorf FD200 monitor ...

What problem do i have :

whell, on a noraml Windows platform, i can set my monitor to 1280x1024 at a 43 Hz refresh rate.

on Fedora Core 3 - i want to manually change this values, but i ain`t given only the 60 Hz and 70 Hz ...

I would like to change this values manually - but i don`t know how to setup hsync and vsync - as to match the 43 Hz refresh rate - that i can manually pick from Windows.

With 60 Hz - the only screen resolution accepted is 1024x768 - but with a lower refresh rate, that won`t bother me - as I can choose between multiple, and higher resolution.

Does anybody know what I must do ?

mndar
6th February 2005, 11:08 AM
First try re-configuring your video card and monitor. Applications->System Settings -> Display-> Hardware. If this does not work tr the following
Make a backup of you xorg.conf file ( located in /etc/X11/ ) . Open it with vi or any other text editor and edit the "Monitor" section. You will ofcourse need the exact Horiz and Vertical sync frequencies from the manual or just do a google for your monior.

Also you might want to update your graphics driver. Check out the ATI website. Before installing there drivers you will have to close the X-server. FC3 doesn't allow this unless you change the run level. Edit "inittab" file in /etc to start at run-level 3 ( if u have a graphical mode login this will be 5) and reboot your computer. The graphics driver will most probably come with the required documentation but anyways, in general here are the steps you need to follow for installing anything....

RPM
rpm -ivh <package-name>

if its a tar.bz2 or tar.gz

tar -zxvf <package-name>
or
tar -jxvf <package-name>

after u untar it, go into the newly created directory and run the script..the general order is
./configure
make
make install

sometimes they have a install.sh script. To run this type
sh install.sh

This should probably do it. IF not you might need to upgrade your kernel. The latest is 2.6.10

gee_whizz
6th February 2005, 11:39 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem with a Radeon 7500 and Mitsubishi monitor that I knew could do 1024x768 at 100Hz. You can manually set the refresh rate by going to this site:

http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/linux/modeline/
Enter the resolution and vertical refresh rate you want into the applet called "Modeline Tool 1" and click calculate. The applet returns two lines, a comment and a line to set the modeline.

Paste these two lines at the end of the Monitor section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

e.g.
. . .
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 720 (NFN9705)"
. . . etc . . .

# My addition for 100Hz refresh rate at 1024x768
# V-freq: 100.00 Hz // h-freq: 81.70 KHz
Modeline "1024x768" 124.84 1024 1088 1240 1528 768 768 771 817
EndSection

Save the file and restart your X-Server.

HTH.

Harryc
6th February 2005, 12:35 PM
... and once you set the modeline/s according to how gee_whizz stated and then startx, you can run a handy little applet called xvidtune (from console) to make fine adjustments to your display. Once set, record the new values in the modeline/s you just entered. It's basically a nice fine tuner.