PDA

View Full Version : wps office

lsatenstein
9th May 2016, 11:59 PM
wps office (wps.com) is a Chinese software that is programmed with QT (in C++). Response is faster and very accurate. It produces only Microsoft compatible files.

It uses the ribbon interface. I find the interface and the functioning to my liking (when you place an object, it stays where it is.

Its fast, stable and the documents can be processed by MS office without needing touchups.

Leigh Scott
10th May 2016, 12:39 AM
Why would anyone trust this Chinese spyware?

Google it if you don't believe me!

lsatenstein
10th May 2016, 01:24 AM
Why would you believe it is spyware. This is a product that produces doc or docx files. You can browse the file if you have suspicions. I understand there are many more millions of copies out there than are copies of LibreOffice.

I do lots of writing, and given the choice of libreoffice or wps, I will take the latter.

WPS has licensed their software to an American reseller. If you go the American reseller route, you will get the same, though slightly tweaked version of wps, and also a nag screen for "Gelt". The tweaking was to not show the origin of the product.

LibreOffice is with Java, it is rubbery in action, and sometimes hesitates for a while while java does garbage collection.
With C++ as the development language, I have noticed no perceptable delay.

Leigh Scott
10th May 2016, 02:04 AM
Why would you believe it is spyware. This is a product that produces doc or docx files. You can browse the file if you have suspicions. I understand there are many more millions of copies out there than are copies of LibreOffice.

I do lots of writing, and given the choice of libreoffice or wps, I will take the latter.

WPS has licensed their software to an American reseller. If you go the American reseller route, you will get the same, though slightly tweaked version of wps, and also a nag screen for "Gelt". The tweaking was to not show the origin of the product.

LibreOffice is with Java, it is rubbery in action, and sometimes hesitates for a while while java does garbage collection.

I consider any software that tries to self-update as spyware and a security risk, as the code is closed source it isn't possible to inspect it.

DBelton
10th May 2016, 04:12 AM
I tend to agree with Leigh on this one.

I was looking around their site, and unless you wish to pay an annual fee for a license, then things like printing, save to PDF, and a few other things are shown as "sponsored access" which means... advertisements!

No thanks, I'll pass on it.

stevea
10th May 2016, 08:35 AM

Gullibility. If it was open-source I might consider it (after severe vetting).

lsatenstein
10th May 2016, 12:45 PM
The software does not self update. If you want extra features, (support, or database), then there is a fee.

Every few months I check out the website to see if there are new features. If there are, I then choose to skip or update.

There is no self update with the free version.

If you do a lot of proposals, and work in a corp, where SAP or other ERP or other MS based systems are deployed, you would be writing your proposals in MS Office. Well, under Linux I am using wps office and I have been using it for two years. I send out my "MS WORD" documents which are really wps created.
No MS antivirus program has ever complained. WPS is also available for 'doz.

marko
10th May 2016, 02:53 PM

Libreoffice has little if any significant Java anymore, it's nearly all C++. I believe java in the past was used in it for some minor features.

antikythera
10th May 2016, 02:57 PM
Indeed, LibreOffice has not required Java to function for a long time now. It isn't required in Linux either, if it is still installed as a dependency that is due to the way Fedora package the program. The default installer from the document foundation doesn't need or ask for java.

hiGuys
10th May 2016, 03:23 PM
wps office (wps.com) is a Chinese software that is programmed with QT (in C++). Response is faster and very accurate. It produces only Microsoft compatible files.

It uses the ribbon interface. I find the interface and the functioning to my liking (when you place an object, it stays where it is.

Its fast, stable and the documents can be processed by MS office without needing touchups.

Just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of this post? It reads like an ad. Is this a sponsored post?

lsatenstein
10th May 2016, 04:23 PM
The reason.

If I find a good product, I like to share that information.

Why wps?

I do quite a bit of writing, and I embed print-screen images. With LO, the images float, and often, when I get to page nn+x.
and go back, LO print-screen images have floated,often one overlaying the other. The other gripe I have is with figures titles (eg, figure 1, figure 2...), I can name a table, but LO does not like to associate a figure with an image. So, images and figures float away from each other.

And then there are LO's handling of lists, ordered lists, bulleted lists, etc. The list should work as I need it, not have me spend time working around LO's implementation. For example, I want to change the space between list elements. I gave up trying with LO. All my gripes with LO's list spacing are easily handled by wps.

My bottom line. To write a document with LO, takes xxx time. With wps, its 0.8 * xxx time or even 0.7 * xxx time.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

By the way, if you don't want wps, try out

SoftMaker Software GmbH <info@softmaker.de>

Here are the installation options. Please choose the one that is suitable for your system:

.rpm archive for RPM-based 32-bit systems (for example openSUSE 32 bit and Fedora 32 bit):
http://www.softmaker.net/down/softmaker-freeoffice-756.i386.rpm

.rpm archive for RPM-based 64-bit systems (for example openSUSE 64 bit and Fedora 64 bit):
http://www.softmaker.net/down/softmaker-freeoffice-756.x86_64.rpm

2. Installation

IMPORTANT: Before you install the software, be sure to read our installation instructions for all common Linux distributions:

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/tips-and-tricks-linux

3. Entering the product key

When you start SoftMaker FreeOffice for the first time, you will be asked to input the following product key:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please keep a copy of this e-mail. You will need this data when you reinstall the software at a later time.

Best regards,

SoftMaker Software GmbH
Kronacher Str 7
90427 Nürnberg
Germany
Phone +49-911-936 386 0
Fax +49-911-30 37 96
info@softmaker.com
http://www.softmaker.com

hiGuys
10th May 2016, 04:38 PM
Fair enough. I haven't tried on the latest versions, but embedded images were never a strong suit of LO.

lsatenstein
10th May 2016, 04:42 PM

Google it if you don't believe me!

Leigh
I have a "Donald Trump" style of response. "Why would anyone outside of the USA trust Fedora?". Just because Fedora has a sha256sum, does that make it unadulterated?

Trust is gut feeling and also earned. My gut feeling is that the two products I presented are clean alternatives to LO. Its up to the user to determine which of the three she/he is more comfortable with using to write.

Leigh Scott
10th May 2016, 07:00 PM
Leigh
I have a "Donald Trump" style of response. "Why would anyone outside of the USA trust Fedora?". Just because Fedora has a sha256sum, does that make it unadulterated?

Trust is gut feeling and also earned. My gut feeling is that the two products I presented are clean alternatives to LO. Its up to the user to determine which of the three she/he is more comfortable with using to write.

I wouldn't piss on Trump even if he was on fire, in fact a can of petrol would be best :cool:

As for fedora, it doesn't try to spam you with ads unlike wps :)
Maybe I trust it because I help develop it :)

As for unadulterated, any packager is free to upload hacked source code and there is no check to prevent it (how safe do you feel now?).

nonamedotc
10th May 2016, 07:09 PM
As for fedora, it doesn't try to spam you with ads unlike wps :)
Maybe I trust it because I help develop it :)

And, I am sure because one can inspect it - given the time and expertize. Heck, if one has the money, they can hire someone to inspect the source for them. :cool:

Not so much with a closed source program ... :dis:

bob
10th May 2016, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't piss on Trump even if he was on fire, in fact a can of petrol would be best

While this is sensible, it's also contrary to our Posting Rules and since we're simply at a point of disagreement about a 3rd. party software issue, I'm closing the thread. If you want to test it out, please do so, but at your own risk.