PDA

View Full Version : Crossover On Windows XP

07dcolem
1st January 2005, 01:42 AM
Is it possible to replace all of the files in the crossover files directory with actual MS win files and have files actually run?

Raafi
1st January 2005, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by www.colinux.org
Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software.

07dcolem
1st January 2005, 06:49 PM
Actually im kinda looking for something the opposite....I have a license to use windows, I just need software to run it with linux.....and i was wondering if I could place actual windows XP files in the crossover directoty and run them? .....or doesn't it work like that?

crackers
1st January 2005, 07:27 PM
No, you don't want to physically replace the files - that will mess you up pretty good. You might want to read the Wine documentation on using native libraries - CrossOver is a commercialized version of Wine.

07dcolem
1st January 2005, 07:49 PM
I was using crossover and now I wish I didn't spend the money :mad: . I found Win4Lin, costs a little bit more but i think i'm going to try it out as I already have a copy of windows 98 sitting around here somewhere. :rolleyes:

GaryG
2nd January 2005, 05:04 PM
It does not look like win4lin has a trial offer; I downloaded and ran the installer; My linux is fedora core3 kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3; the win4lin installer states:
Unfortunately, your system is not running a kernel directly supported by win4lin