PDA

View Full Version : Fedora LXDE - apps installer & verified list of apps

bordmail4
9th January 2016, 05:41 AM
Very new to Linux and trying to put to good use my older PC (Athlon 3200, 768MB). Looking stable, working fast (compared to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I tried recently)

Is this command line the only way to install new programs in LXDE, after manually downloading them?
su -c 'yum install *.rpm'
Yum Extender seems to know to track only upgrades.

I guess I am asking about an App Store like place with apps that have been checked for FXDE. A one click, password and done thing. Is there such an app / site / list ?

Thanks!

lsatenstein
9th January 2016, 09:29 PM
If you are starting from a downloaded ISO, then with a liveISO and terminal mode
determine your /dev/scx for the usb drive. (gparted is one good tool).
then with root privileges

sudo dd if=ISO.FILE.NAME.iso of=/dev/sd? bs=1M && sync;
That will create a bootable usb drive
Boot from that flashdrive and respond to questions, etc.

nsnbm
10th January 2016, 02:36 AM
bordmail4 wrote:

Very new to Linux and trying to put to good use my older PC (Athlon 3200, 768MB).

The recommended minimum for installing fedora 23 is 1 gig of RAM, so with 768MB it's touch and go. Fedora may install in GUI mode, but may not with that RAM. You could try to choose a text installation option on the installing media, which gives you less control but may install. Once installed, it will run on that RAM, with some limitations.

Is this command line the only way to install new programs in LXDE, after manually downloading them?
su -c 'yum install *.rpm'

A common way to install new programs is to use dnf as root when online and it will download and install the programs so that they don't have to be stored and separately installed. dnf works on the command line but there are GUI programs to do the same thing. Nevertheless, I think learning the command line is "a good thing" in the long run.

I guess I am asking about an App Store like place with apps that have been checked for FXDE. A one click, password and done thing. Is there such an app / site / list ?

Once LXDE is set up on your computer, the "apps", or programs which are available, are in the fedora repositories on mirror sites from which you can download any programs. If they are in the repos, they have passed a series of fedora checks and that's about as much checking that exists, or is probably needed. Programs that may have bugs and are amended, or those that are improved, usually get updated and go into updates repositories which dnf also accesses. You can use dnf to list and search what is available.

bordmail4
10th January 2016, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, lsatenstein and nsnbm.

lsatenstein, I had no problem installing the system. Actually prefer the classic DVD burning.

Nsnbm, I thought the Fedora LXDE was a spin for ARM and older PC's. It runs now LibreOffice Calc on 250 MB and only rarely do I see it exceed 400MB ram usage).

As for installing new apps, I was asking for a site or list with user rating system. Let's say 10 apps for pdf in the repositories and installable through Yum Extender (which says what they do but not how good the users thought them to be).

Anyway, I get a weird boot option even though the entire hdd had been erased and all space used on auto for fedora. Not quite on topic.

At startup I get a black screen with 3 boot options on a 5 second counter:
- Fedora ( 4.2.6. ...number string) 23 (Twenty Three)
- Fedora (4.2.3. ...another number string) 23 (Twenty Three)
- Fedora (rescue....still another string) 23 (Twenty Three)

If I let it choose the first option, I get a full black screen with reports and what looks like memory addresses, ending in " end kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)".
If I choose the last 2 options, systems loads after displaying briefly 2 times the message "failed to find cpu0 device node". The message also appeared during installation.

The system is newly installed, all space on Fedora. After install I gave it a full update, during which I guess I switched the screen or overloaded the CPU 'cause I got a black screen for like 2 minutes so I reset the PC and at startup the boot option appeared. I may have interupted the update, hence the 4.2.6. won't work.

Any ideea how to loose that screen? Wouldn't mind reinstalling but better check first.