PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fedora 23 - VirtualBox problems after kernel updates

infiniteloop
8th January 2016, 09:39 AM
Hello everybody,

I have a huge problem running VirtualBox under Fedora 23 after kernel updates. In fact, the same problems existed under Fedora 21 and 22 and as I can see, there are more users with this problem.

Constantly, after kernel updates (e.g. the last one to 4.2.8-300.fc23) my VirtualBox is broken and returning the known error Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908).

So, sometimes I just uninstall and reinstall VirtualBox and maybe there will be an update of the akmods package and VirtualBox will run again. But this always seems to be some kind of gambling. In most cases VirtualBox will refuse to run with the message you can see in my screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/Z6fgXty.png

When running VirtualBox from shell there is this warning:

WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64+debug) or it failed to
load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

To make it short: Any of my attempts, fixing this problem regarding to the suggestions VirtualBox is making won't help. akmods is installed in the most actual version, also recompiling or installing the kernel modules resolves in messages, that the commands were not found.

will output...

command not found

To make it clear: VirtualBox is running without any problems when there is some update a few days later, which seems to fix these problems. I don't know, which of the updated packages exactly fixes the problem, as there are more then one packages updated. This just happens directly after the kernel updates.

I also set up the VirtualBox repo directly from Oracle to try running their version instead of the version from Fedora repos. This just helped exactly one time. But since, their version also refuses to run with the same errors.

I need a running version of VirtualBox as I am dependent on my Windows VM to interact with my co workers in my company, as everyone else here is runnig windows and I have to use special software like the MS office suite on my Linux host.

I also evaluated the Virt Manager (https://virt-manager.org/) from RedHat using QEMU but since I have no experiences with it, I seek for a clean solution to my VirtualBox problem.

Does anybody have the same problems after kernel updates? Or is anybody using another virtualization which is equal in performance to VirtualBox to run a Windows VM?

I appreciate any suggestions and help.

Thanks

infiniteloop

srakitnican
8th January 2016, 09:24 PM
Hello,

The issue is that everytime kernel is updated, vbox modules needs to be rebuild which fails to do so automatically for some reason. Rebuilding them by hand should make it work again.

sudo /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

If you don't need new kernels, you could also exclude it from updating in dnf configuration file and install it when wanted with dnf --disableexcludes switch.

stevea
8th January 2016, 10:36 PM
You might give virt-manager/libvirtr/qemu a try to replace vbox.
I use it exclusively - it's rock solid on Linux.

jbkt23
9th January 2016, 01:07 AM
The issue is that the old modules are still in the initramfs when you boot and their presence blocks the new modules from loading. To avoid this problem create this file:

/etc/dracut.conf.d/vbox.conf

With the contents:

# Omit vbox drivers from the initfile so that dkms loads the drivers instead

omit_drivers+=" vboxdrv*"

# end of file

then run dracut --force
to rebuild the current initramfs and then reboot. Dkms / akmod should now do their thing un hindered.

srakitnican
9th January 2016, 08:32 AM
Hello jbkt23,

There are not any vbox drivers in my initramfs, or I am doing something wrong to check?

$ lsinitrd /boot/initramfs-4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64.img | grep vbox
$ ls /etc/dracut.conf.d/
$ uname -r
4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64
$ lsmod | grep vbox
vboxpci 24576 0
vboxnetadp 28672 0
vboxnetflt 28672 0
vboxdrv 430080 3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci

jbkt23
9th January 2016, 03:00 PM
Here is a list of Virtualbox rpms I have installed. I have not experienced the problems you describe since I upgraded from F20.

[root@xjbk1 ~]# less /var/log/rpmpkgs | grep mods
akmods-0.5.4-1.fc23.noarch.rpm
VirtualBox-kmodsrc-5.0.12-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm
[root@xjbk1 ~]# less /var/log/rpmpkgs | grep Virtual
akmod-VirtualBox-5.0.12-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm
kmod-VirtualBox-4.2.6-301.fc23.x86_64-5.0.12-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm
kmod-VirtualBox-4.2.7-300.fc23.x86_64-5.0.10-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm
kmod-VirtualBox-4.2.7-300.fc23.x86_64-5.0.12-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm
kmod-VirtualBox-4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64-5.0.12-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm
VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.34_104062_fedora22-1.x86_64.rpm
VirtualBox-guest-5.0.12-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm
VirtualBox-kmodsrc-5.0.12-1.fc23.x86_64.rpm

You may not have an rpm log. I have to manually copy the script from /usr/share/rpm to /etc/cron.daily and then run it manually the first time. You can use the dnf tool to list installed packages with a pipe to grep to see what you have.

The other thing that could be hindering the driver install is the daemons running at the time of the updates.

# systemctl | grep vbox
vboxautostart-service.service loaded active exited LSB: VirtualBox autostart service
vboxballoonctrl-service.service loaded active exited LSB: VirtualBox watchdog daemon
vboxdrv.service loaded active exited LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module
vboxweb-service.service loaded active exited LSB: VirtualBox web service API

While the driver service is running you cannot add or remove modules, but i would think that the akmod / dkms build system would know that and stop it to install the new drivers. You could try something like the following:
# systemctl stop vboxdrv.service
# rmod vbox*
# depmod ( I don't remember the correct syntax, so man depmod)
# systemctl start vboxdrv.service

I don't use Vbox everyday but my wife does and the only change I made was as described in the first post. The other difference on her machine is that she has the latest version of Vbox which is more recent than what is in the RPMfusion repos. So a driver has to be built for every kernel update.

srakitnican
9th January 2016, 03:56 PM
I have official VirtualBox installed since rpmfusion stopped compiling modules for new kernels. Official version is compiling modules for new kernels on users computers.

$ sudo dnf list installed VirtualBox-5.0
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:16:30 ago on Sat Jan 9 15:08:46 2016.
Installed Packages
VirtualBox-5.0.x86_64 5.0.12_104815_fedora22-1 @virtualbox
$ rpm -qa | grep kmod
kmod-libs-22-1.fc23.x86_64
libmikmod-3.3.8-1.fc23.x86_64
kmod-22-1.fc23.x86_64

So I don't have akmods installed, maybe that's the key to success :)

But as OP stated he has and is not doing the job for him.

I have also the same services running as you, and I don't have the VBox running at the time of updates.

Are that kmod-VirtualBox modules from rpmfusion repo? That would explain why it always works for you :)

Anyway is not a big deal for me, just have to remember to run compiling script every time new kernel is installed.

jbkt23
9th January 2016, 06:05 PM
semiRocket,

Here is what I have installed on my other machine:

# less /var/log/rpmpkgs | grep mods
[root@rand ~]# less /var/log/rpmpkgs | grep Virtual
VirtualBox-5.0-5.0.10_104061_fedora18-1.x86_64.rpm
[root@rand ~]# less /var/log/rpmpkgs | grep akmod
[root@rand ~]# less /var/log/rpmpkgs | grep dkms
dkms-2.2.0.3-31.git.7c3e7c5.fc23.noarch.rpm

So as you can see I don't have any akmods or kmods installed. Dkms is the crucial piece and it does the building for every kernel update. I don't know how to automate the dkms that is packaged with VirtualBox or whether thats possible.

So the OP needs to review here what has been posted and provide some output.

infiniteloop
11th January 2016, 09:52 AM
Hi @all,

sorry for not responding earlier.

So, at first, to sum it up: The solution for me based upon the first answer from @semiRocket.

I was surprised, that the recompiling of the kernel modules didn't worked as the command

sudo /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

was not found.

So I uninstalled the VirtualBox packages from Fedora repos and installed the official version from Oracle repo (VirtualBox-5.0). Important thing here: I had to reboot my machine and boot the 4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64 kernel WITHOUT the +debug extension, as this is the default booting kernel and therefore the kernel-headers were not found).

Then I recompiled the kernel modules and VirtualBox is now up and running. Thank you all for your answers end suggestions. To respind to the other answers:

@stevea: I will definitely try the virt-manager with QEMU as an alternative or backup. The only thing there is, if the performance will be on the same level as in VirtualBox.

@jbkt23 I didn't try the dracut solution and after the first solution from semiRocket worked I will rely on this for the next time. But I will keep that in mind for the future and maybe evaluate this.

Regards

infiniteloop

romu70
14th January 2016, 02:27 PM
Hi there, I've exactly the same issue on my freshly installed PC.

I've just tried the @infiniteloop idea but I can't install the kernel-headers-4.2.8 package. Even if I boot the PC on the 4.2.8 kernel, dnf only wants to install headers 4.3.3. Any idea how to fix this?

infiniteloop
14th January 2016, 02:33 PM
@romu70:

When booting kernel 4.2.8, have you tried something like this?

install "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"

Regards

romu70
14th January 2016, 02:35 PM
Almost, I directly ran:

sudo dnf install kernel-headers-4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64

And the result was:

No package kernel-headers-4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64 available.

srakitnican
14th January 2016, 06:50 PM
It's only :)

sudo dnf install kernel-headers

romu70
15th January 2016, 09:13 AM
I know but is this case the result is:

kernel-headers-4.3.3-xxxx is already installed

Although I've checked many times
uname -r returns
4.2.8-300xxxxx

srakitnican
15th January 2016, 09:47 AM
So what you are trying to do?

Can't you just boot into kernel 4.3.3?

You need headers for version that you are using, you can have only one version installed.

You can try with: sudo dnf downgrade kernel-headers

romu70
15th January 2016, 10:20 AM
I just want VirtualBox up & running on F23. And I've the same problem as described here: no way to build the vbox kernel modules.

Downgrade proposes to switch from 4.3.3 to 4.2.3, no 4.2.8.

If I try to boot normally on the 4.3.3 kernel and try to build the vbox modules with
sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup, I get the following error:

Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSError! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64 cannot be found at
/lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/build or /lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/source.
[FAILED]
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

But:

Package kernel-headers-4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64 is already installed, skipping.

The vbox log:

DKMS: add completed.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
Makefile:185: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

Thanks for the help.

romu70
15th January 2016, 11:46 AM
Obviously, this path:

/lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/build or /lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/source

is supposed to be a symbolic link which should point to "build". On my computer, this link is broken. Any idea how ti fix this? Thanks.

srakitnican
15th January 2016, 11:52 AM
$ file /lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/source
/lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/source: symbolic link to build
$ file /lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/build
/lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/build: symbolic link to /usr/src/kernels/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64

Boot into older kernel and try with

sudo dnf reinstall kernel-core-4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64

That should repair any broken links.

romu70
15th January 2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks, but this doesn't work, the link is still broken.

srakitnican
15th January 2016, 12:04 PM
Wow that is really odd. If I use rpm -ql kernel-core-4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64 I can clearly see that packages copies those files over. I have no idea then.

srakitnican
15th January 2016, 12:19 PM
By looking at manual (https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#externalkernelmodules) do you have kernel-devel installed? (as also suggested by infiniteloop)

romu70
15th January 2016, 01:24 PM
Thanks, that was a part of the problem, my mistake.

But that doesn't fix the issue. I installed the kernel-devel package (4.3.3). Tried to build the vbox kernel module, failed because it requires the kernel 4.2.8.

So, I rebooted to the kernel 4.2.8 and tried to build again. It failed because the kernel sources and headers are not 4.2.8. I tried to downgrade the kernel-devel package but DNF doesn't propose 4.2.8, only 4.2.3.

I run Fedora for about 3 years now, it's the first time it's so difficult to get VBox running.

Thanks for your help @semiRocket.

glennzo
15th January 2016, 02:00 PM
I think that in the case of those here who need "kernel-headers" you should be installing "kernel-devel".
Something along the lines of

dnf install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)
That should bring in the proper "kernel-headers".

Just a thought.

romu70
15th January 2016, 02:03 PM
It seems the kernel-devel 4.2.8 is needed to build the vbox modules.

Problem is running your command while being on 4.2.8 kernel gives:

No package kernel-devel-4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64 available.

romu70
15th January 2016, 02:17 PM
At least !! I've managed to get VirtualBox up and running, but what a pain!

I followed this tutorial: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-virtualbox-with-yum-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

Don't know what changes exactly, but the command to build the vbox kernel module is not the one advised by VBox itself. Anyway, it works now. Thanks to all of you for your help. Really appreciate.

srakitnican
15th January 2016, 02:19 PM
Thanks, that was a part of the problem, my mistake.

But that doesn't fix the issue. I installed the kernel-devel package (4.3.3). Tried to build the vbox kernel module, failed because it requires the kernel 4.2.8.

What makes you think it requires that specific kernel version. It shouldn't, that's why it compiles modules to make them compatible with any kernel version.

srakitnican
15th January 2016, 02:34 PM

I followed this tutorial: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-virtualbox-with-yum-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

Don't know what changes exactly, but the command to build the vbox kernel module is not the one advised by VBox itself. Anyway, it works now. Thanks to all of you for your help. Really appreciate.

Glad that it finally worked out, I wanted to comment on command you used to build modules, because I posted different one. As I remember official command was not working for me either. But after I looked into:

$ file /sbin/rcvboxdrv
/sbin/rcvboxdrv: symbolic link to /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh

It should be the same command and I tried to build with it again and it worked this time. I don't know anything for sure anymore :D

romu70
15th January 2016, 02:36 PM
I didn't take the time neither to check this command. In the link I provided, the instructions are pretty clear about packages to be installed first. Maybe something was missing on my PC.

But I'm also happy to see it finally work, I can now start the real work.

Thanks for your help, I've learned some useful commands thanks to you.

srakitnican
15th January 2016, 02:47 PM
You can see what was installed with "dnf history", for example:

sudo dnf history info last

garum
29th January 2016, 10:41 AM

I confirm that tutorial worked for me too.

sergiomb
7th February 2016, 05:19 AM
Hello everybody,

I have a huge problem running VirtualBox under Fedora 23 after kernel updates. In fact, the same problems existed under Fedora 21 and 22 and as I can see, there are more users with this problem.

Constantly, after kernel updates (e.g. the last one to 4.2.8-300.fc23) my VirtualBox is broken and returning the known error Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908).

So, sometimes I just uninstall and reinstall VirtualBox and maybe there will be an update of the akmods package and VirtualBox will run again. But this always seems to be some kind of gambling. In most cases VirtualBox will refuse to run with the message you can see in my screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/Z6fgXty.png

When running VirtualBox from shell there is this warning:

WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64+debug) or it failed to
load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

To make it short: Any of my attempts, fixing this problem regarding to the suggestions VirtualBox is making won't help. akmods is installed in the most actual version, also recompiling or installing the kernel modules resolves in messages, that the commands were not found.

will output...

command not found

To make it clear: VirtualBox is running without any problems when there is some update a few days later, which seems to fix these problems. I don't know, which of the updated packages exactly fixes the problem, as there are more then one packages updated. This just happens directly after the kernel updates.

I also set up the VirtualBox repo directly from Oracle to try running their version instead of the version from Fedora repos. This just helped exactly one time. But since, their version also refuses to run with the same errors.

infiniteloop

man , the picture says :

dnf install VirtualBox kernel-devel-$(uname -r) akmod-VirtualBox
if you do that it will install all what we need , ( I have update message yum for dnf and akmod is now the default)
Now in second sentence you mention "Either there is no module available for the current kernel (4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64+debug) " so your current kernel is 4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64+debug you need install kernel-debug-devel and not kernel-devel , big story about rpm deps , but if you run a kernel you must have the -devel package of this kernel and dnf/yum can't do that for you. You have to do: dnf install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)
After that run akmods and will build kernel modules .

I'd love understand why some people says that akomds stop working (something should happened) because it works for me without any problem and nothing change quite a long time.

Best regards

sergiomb
13th February 2016, 07:02 PM
I will fix the messages soon , please report problem with VirtualBox of rpmfusion with on following link :

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&component=VirtualBox

Thanks.

amicose
2nd March 2016, 11:57 PM
I confirm that tutorial worked for me too.

This fix worked for me too.. on the old computer I was testing before I installed on my main machine. Now the following gets outputted at point 5 of the tutorial:

~]$ /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules/usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh: line 302: /var/log/vbox-install.log: Permission denied
[ OK ]
Removing old VirtualBox pci kernel module [ OK ]
Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module [ OK ]
Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module [ OK ]
Removing old VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS/usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh: line 327: /var/log/vbox-install.log: Permission denied
[FAILED]
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules/usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh: line 335: /var/log/vbox-install.log: Permission denied
[FAILED]
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

On kernel 4.4.2-301.fc23.x86_64. Fedora 23. Exactly the same as on the test machine. What could be wrong here?

Here's vbox-install.log:
http://pastebin.com/AMva2ZGY

srakitnican
3rd March 2016, 12:13 AM
$ /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

And

vboxdrv.sh: line 335: /var/log/vbox-install.log: Permission denied

It this specific case is a permission issue, because script needs super user rights to do stuff.

$ sudo /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

amicose
3rd March 2016, 12:32 AM
lol whoops. had tried this but was slacking on my copy paste game. sudo outputs in:

$ sudo /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup
[sudo] password for mscown:
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules [ OK ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS[ OK ]
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
(modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)

dmesg here: http://pastebin.com/iXGRYfhz

srakitnican
3rd March 2016, 12:44 AM
[ 1.384699] EFI: Loaded cert 'Fedora Secure Boot CA: fde32599c2d61db1bf5807335d7b20e4cd963b42' linked to '.system_keyring'
You have probably secure boot issue as new modules are not signed. To confirm try:

$ sudo modprobe -v vboxdrv

You have two choices if you want to use VirtualBox, either to disable secure boot or to sign the modules yourself. See this thread (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=308894) for more info.

amicose
3rd March 2016, 12:48 AM
$ sudo modprobe -v vboxdrv
[sudo] password for mscown:
insmod /lib/modules/4.4.2-301.fc23.x86_64/extra/vboxdrv.ko
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxdrv': Required key not available

I didn't check out the virtualisation settings on this computer (thinkpad t450s) at all, so will attempt disabling secure boot

amicose
3rd March 2016, 12:57 AM
Yep, it was the bios settings. Enabled virtualisation and disabled secure boot. Thanks!

sergiomb
3rd March 2016, 02:05 AM
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29480176/how-to-install-virtualbox-on-linux-secure-boot-systems-bash-script
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/34470/virtual-box-on-fedora-19-fails-to-start-a-vm/
or google for "virtualbox secure boot" ,

sergiomb
4th April 2016, 01:11 AM
man , the picture says :

dnf install VirtualBox kernel-devel-$(uname -r) akmod-VirtualBox
if you do that it will install all what we need , ( I have update message yum for dnf and akmod is now the default)
Now in second sentence you mention "Either there is no module available for the current kernel (4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64+debug) " so your current kernel is 4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64+debug you need install kernel-debug-devel and not kernel-devel , big story about rpm deps , but if you run a kernel you must have the -devel package of this kernel and dnf/yum can't do that for you. You have to do: dnf install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)
After that run akmods and will build kernel modules .

I'd love understand why some people says that akomds stop working (something should happened) because it works for me without any problem and nothing change quite a long time.

Best regards

Messages of VirtualBox of RPMfusion are updated in VirtualBox-5.0.16-3 version.
BTW: I also have done one wiki page: http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/VirtualBox

rich1974
4th May 2016, 07:33 PM
Messages of VirtualBox of RPMfusion are updated in VirtualBox-5.0.16-3 version.
BTW: I also have done one wiki page: http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/VirtualBox

just trying to use virtualbox with kernel 4.4.8 and it does not work. i get this. i just followed your guide.

root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# dnf install VirtualBox kernel-devel-4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 akmod-VirtualBox
Fedora 23 - x86_64 - Updates 77 kB/s | 22 MB 04:51
Repository for Fedy 17 kB/s | 5.8 kB 00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Nonfree 189 kB/s | 218 kB 00:01
RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Free 300 kB/s | 738 kB 00:02
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:02 ago on Wed May 4 21:25:15 2016.
Package VirtualBox-5.0.16-3.fc23.x86_64 is already installed, skipping.
No package kernel-devel-4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 available.
Package akmod-VirtualBox-5.0.16-2.fc23.x86_64 is already installed, skipping.
Error: Unable to find a match.
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# akmods
Checking kmods exist for 4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 [ OK ]
Files needed for building modules against kernel
4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 could not be found as the following
directories are missing:
/usr/src/kernels/4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64/
/usr/lib/modules/4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64/build/Is the correct kernel-devel package installed? [FAILED]
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]#

i managed to get it working on kernel 4.2.3.

sergiomb
4th May 2016, 07:40 PM
No package kernel-devel-4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 available.

you need install kernel-devel ! , is a strange result of dnf , please try just :

dnf install kernel-devel

what is the result ?

rich1974
4th May 2016, 07:54 PM
take this

[rich1974@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 ~]$ su
Password:
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# dnf install kernel-devel
Last metadata expiration check: 0:25:37 ago on Wed May 4 21:25:15 2016.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

meine
4th May 2016, 09:43 PM
maybe a not so wanted answer, but switch to virt-manager with qemu/kvm.

tried using virtualbox for a long time and after every kernel update ran into the problem that oracle didn't provide the right kernel mods for weeks (right: weeks). it blocked my working from home, something I really like doing. virt-manager maybe is less known but it is very reliable. benchmarks showed it is also faster, but it might depend on the ones you read following your favourite VM ;-)

don't know exactly but there is some tool to import VB machines in virt-manager as well.

sergiomb
4th May 2016, 10:03 PM
dnf is hidden something.

and dnf install kernel-devel -b

what you have ? should show some dep problem

rich1974
5th May 2016, 04:06 AM
Password:
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# dnf install kernel-devel -b
Last metadata expiration check: 0:03:12 ago on Thu May 5 06:00:13 2016.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

this is the output!

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Password:
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# dnf install kernel-devel -b
Last metadata expiration check: 0:03:12 ago on Thu May 5 06:00:13 2016.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

this is the output!

sergiomb
5th May 2016, 04:55 PM
can't be ,
should install something or say that is already installed my:

dnf install kernel-devel -b
Last metadata expiration check: 1:59:27 ago on Thu May 5 14:49:02 2016.
Package kernel-devel-4.4.6-301.fc23.x86_64 is already installed, skipping.
Package kernel-devel-4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64 is already installed, skipping.
Package kernel-devel-4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 is already installed, skipping.

Try understand why you can't install one kernel-devel ?
dnf list "kernel*"
will give you a list of Installed Packages and Available Packages

kernel-devel-4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 have to appears somewhere , well without kernel-devel you can't install any VirtualBox, RPMFusion , Oracle whatever

rich1974
5th May 2016, 06:01 PM
cPassword:
su: Authentication failure
Password:
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# dnf list "kernel*"
Last metadata expiration check: 13:57:19 ago on Thu May 5 06:00:13 2016.
Error: No matching Packages to list
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# dnf list kernel*
Last metadata expiration check: 13:58:11 ago on Thu May 5 06:00:13 2016.
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# exit
exit
[rich1974@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 ~]$ dnf list kernel*
Last metadata expiration check: 7 days, 0:41:06 ago on Thu Apr 28 19:17:58 2016.
[rich1974@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 ~]$

can you explain? richt now, i am using kernel 4.2.3 and virtualbox (rpm fusion) is working. it does not work on latest kernel, 4.4.8.
thanx for your support!

sergiomb
5th May 2016, 06:11 PM
dnf repolist
Last metadata expiration check: 0:21:04 ago on Thu May 5 17:49:45 2016.

repo id repo name status
*fedora Fedora 23 - x86_64 46074
google-chrome google-chrome 3
google-talkplugin google-talkplugin 1
mosquito-atom Copr repo for atom owned by mosquito 82
rpmfusion-free RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Free 692
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Free - Test Updates 268
rpmfusion-nonfree RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Nonfree 206
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Nonfree - Test Updates 103
sergiomb-buildsforF21 Copr repo for buildsforF21 owned by sergiomb 33
sergiomb-google-drive-ocamlfuse Copr repo for google-drive-ocamlfuse owned by sergiomb 18
sergiomb-kde4for23 Copr repo for kde4for23 owned by sergiomb 89
sergiomb-vboxfor23 Copr repo for vboxfor23 owned by sergiomb 106
updates Fedora 23 - x86_64 - Updates 18690

have you fedora and updates repo enabled ?

rich1974
5th May 2016, 06:47 PM
[rich1974@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 ~]$ dnf repolist
Last metadata expiration check: 7 days, 1:27:50 ago on Thu Apr 28 19:17:58 2016.
repo id repo name status
*fedora Fedora 23 - x86_64 46,056
folkswithhats Repository for Fedy 22
google-chrome google-chrome 3
rpmfusion-free RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Free 692
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Free - Test 268
rpmfusion-nonfree RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Nonfree 206
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 23 - Nonfree - Te 103
*updates Fedora 23 - x86_64 - Updates 18,540

it seems okay to me.

sergiomb
5th May 2016, 08:09 PM
please try use --disableexcludes=all

dnf list "kernel*" --disableexcludes=all

Installed Packages
kernel.x86_64 4.4.6-301.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel.x86_64 4.4.7-300.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-core.x86_64 4.4.6-301.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel-core.x86_64 4.4.7-300.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel-core.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-devel.x86_64 4.4.6-301.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel-devel.x86_64 4.4.7-300.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel-devel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-headers.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-modules.x86_64 4.4.6-301.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel-modules.x86_64 4.4.7-300.fc23 @updates-testing
kernel-modules.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-tools.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-tools-libs.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
Available Packages
kernel-debug.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug-core.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug-devel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug-modules.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug-modules-extra.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-modules-extra.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-rpm-macros.noarch 36-1.fc23.1 updates
kernel-tools-libs.i686 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-tools-libs-devel.i686 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-tools-libs-devel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernelshark.x86_64 2.2.1-6.fc23 fedora

you have to fix your dnf configuration ! and see kernel in dnf list of course without that is not possible update VirtualBox

rich1974
6th May 2016, 04:04 AM
[rich1974@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 ~]$ dnf list "kernel*" --disableexcludes=all
Last metadata expiration check: 7 days, 10:44:15 ago on Thu Apr 28 19:17:58 2016.
Installed Packages
kernel.x86_64 4.2.3-300.fc23 @koji-override-0
kernel-core.x86_64 4.2.3-300.fc23 @koji-override-0
kernel-core.x86_64 4.4.7-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-core.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-debug-devel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-headers.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-modules.x86_64 4.2.3-300.fc23 @koji-override-0
kernel-modules.x86_64 4.4.7-300.fc23 @updates
kernel-modules.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 @updates
Available Packages
kernel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug-core.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug-modules.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-debug-modules-extra.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-devel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-modules-extra.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-rpm-macros.noarch 36-1.fc23.1 updates
kernel-tools.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-tools-libs.i686 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-tools-libs.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-tools-libs-devel.i686 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernel-tools-libs-devel.x86_64 4.4.8-300.fc23 updates
kernelshark.x86_64 2.2.1-6.fc23 fedora

this is the output, thanx again.

glennzo
6th May 2016, 09:47 AM
I don't understand. Successfully installing a working VirtualBox is not difficult.
http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=366&pictureid=2291

rich1974
6th May 2016, 11:51 AM
it is working to me until this stage too, but when try to start a machine, it gives me an error.
as i can see, you do not have a virtual machine.

glennzo
6th May 2016, 01:35 PM
Well I can fix that. Have to wait until I get home though. Currently at work.

rich1974
6th May 2016, 03:14 PM
hey, do not forget: working is for tractors, not for people.
so, when you get home, try to fire up a .vdi file. my vdi, a windows xp, does not work on 4 4 8, it only works in 4 2 3

sergiomb
6th May 2016, 06:04 PM
my last reply did not enter !?
as I wrote you have to find why kernel are excluded from dnf queries

cd /etc/dnf; grep exclude *

but you may also do directly:

dnf install kernel-devel --disableexcludes=all

rich1974
6th May 2016, 06:40 PM
finnaly....thanx o lot!

now the vb is working fine with the kernel 4 4 8.
i have had an exclusion setup in dnf conf but i thought that it is affecting only updates, not every time you want to install something. nou a have commented that option and leave it default.

Password:
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# akmods
Checking kmods exist for 4.4.8-300.fc23.x86_64 [ OK ]
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# exit
exit
Password:
[root@rich1974-Inspiron-1521 rich1974]# systemctl restart systemd-modules-load.service

i want to ask you....for the next kernel update, will the vb work again? i guess so because it will automatically install kernel-devel tools, am i right? should i update the kernel or should i freeze it to this version?
once again...thanx a lot!
and also, thanx for that wiki page related to VB on the rpm fusion.

sergiomb
6th May 2016, 07:22 PM
Shouldn't have problems on kernel updates, after dnf update "kernel*" , akmods should run on shutdown and should generate kmods automatically , but just in case you may run akmods-shutdown before restart , of course you need also the kernel-devel update , and all this commands must be run as root .

glennzo
7th May 2016, 09:05 AM
rich1974, here are 2 screenshots showing VirtualBox using an existing, and old I might add, VDI file. This on a desktop machine running Fedora 23 x86_64. So I'm not trying to push this in front of you to show that you're wrong. I believe that you are simply missing something. What, I'm not sure.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=366&pictureid=2292
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=366&pictureid=2293