PDA

View Full Version : Several firefox issues in fedora 23

Fedographr
30th December 2015, 07:13 PM
Hi,

sorry for creating so many threads here, but I stumbled across several issues on my way to fedora. After installing my new system I was not able to sync with firefox. I found out that there seems to be an issue with my internet provider (see: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1118958) although it worked on my windwos machine.

I fixed it by setting the mtu to 1250 instead of 1500. Nevertheless where does this come from?

Additionally I was not able to create any thread here from my firefox before setting the mtu. From my windows firefox it was working, so did it from the gnome browser.

Thanks

Edit: so this was the first test, I am now able to create a new thread here after setting the mtu.

Edit2: And whats the diffeerence between astronomy-bookmarks and fedora-bookmarks? I tried to reinstall firefox via dnf. While removing removed the packages fedora-bookmarks and firefox the reinsallation installed astronomy bookmarks.

Fedographr
1st January 2016, 03:44 PM
Does nobody have an idea?

Anyway, what is the best way to change the mtu so it doesnt get lost after a reboot?

Thanks

nsnbm
1st January 2016, 10:40 PM
The way I change mtu and make it persistent is with the MTU=... variable in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, where eth0 is the name of my network device, ethernet in this case. I use network, not NetworkManager.

whats the diffeerence between astronomy-bookmarks and fedora-bookmarks?

In my f23 firefox requires the capability called: system-bookmarks:

[tom@owl ~]$ rpm -qRf /usr/bin/firefox
<snip>
system-bookmarks

and system-bookmarks is provided by the package astronomy-bookmarks:

[tom@owl ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides system-bookmarks
astronomy-bookmarks-1-13.fc23.noarch

I believe in earlier fedoras, rather than astronomy-bookmarks, the package firefox wanted was fedora-bookmarks.

marko
1st January 2016, 10:44 PM
I know that when using NetworkManager if I go to a connection in the nm-connection-editor, which is the tool that is displayed from the NetworkManager widget in my desktop to edit my connections, I can select the connection of interest, then hit "Edit" button.

At that point, select the "Wi-Fi" or "Wired" tab (it depends on the connection type what you see)
and set the MTU value there via the selection widget (it usually says "Automatic", just set that to 1250 for your
unusual connection)

I suspect most of the people on the fedora forum here have no idea what an "astronomy-bookmark" is and how it's different from a fedora-bookmark (which I've also never heard of).

I suspect that's something specific to the desktop you use that I've never dealt with.

nsnbm
1st January 2016, 11:24 PM
marko wrote:

I suspect most of the people on the fedora forum here have no idea what an "astronomy-bookmark" is and how it's different from a fedora-bookmark (which I've also never heard of).

I did smile at this comment. For those who have good broadband bandwidth and have let yum and dnf do their dependency work for them, what you say makes sense. However, some time ago, when on low bandwidth, such as dial-up, I had to determine the dependency situation, and firefox has needed fedora-bookmarks for quite a few releases in the past, so I had to download it, with a few other dependencies as well. It came to be felt like a "familiar friend" for years: the package I had to download for firefox to be able to be installed.

marko
1st January 2016, 11:29 PM
Ah, I see, I just ran rpm -ql fedora-bookmarks and it's just that html file that shows the fedora doc links.