PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 23 Cinnamon spin Dell XPS 13 9350 2016

stevesd
27th November 2015, 03:03 AM
Just wanted to post up a quick walk through of Fedora 23 install on the Late 2015 Dell XPS 13 9350 (aka Dell XPS 2016) with intel skylake cpu/graphics.

The Live CD install worked without issue. I used the cinnamon spin. I would suggest avoiding BTRFS as after installing with BTRFS I had a kworker thread running at 70%+ CPU utilization endlessly. A reinstall using ext4 did not have this issue.

The biggest issue I had was with the Intel graphics drivers. Fedora 23 at the time of this post has kernel 4.2-6-300 available, which required setting i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 in kernel boot args (/etc/default/boot, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="..." -> "... i915.preliminary_hw_support=1" + grub2-mkconfig to get hardware support for 3d rendering.

Occasionally I would experience hard lockups and would have to force system power off by holding down the power button. I found upgrading to kernel 4.3 solved this issue.

Building 4.3 from source didn't work well for me, suspend would not work.

Eventually I found this repo: https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/thl/kernel-vanilla-mainline/fedora-kernel-vanilla-mainline.repo and after adding it upgraded the kernel package. Where this repo came from, or who built it I have no idea.

After rebooting I found the touchpad wouldn't work properly, and I added "synclient Clickpad=1" as a startup application. This didn't work until the 2nd reboot, so I'm not entirely sure this solved the issue, but touchpad, sleep, and graphics are working flawlessly now.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

BTW battery life is 10+ hours with primarily terminal/web surfing. Never thought I'd see battery performance so good under Linux. Thanks skylake!!!

hypnox
30th November 2015, 07:47 PM
Wow. How are you getting 10+ hours of battery?

I have the FHD 256gb model with fedora 23 on 4.2.6 kernel and I can only get 7 hours short. Discharge rate reports 8 W.

hypnox
30th November 2015, 08:02 PM
So, I just upgraded the kernel and the discharge rate is down to 6 W. Got 6 hours remaining at 66%. Also, this kernel seems to fix the static noise coming from the inside the laptop whenever I moved the mouse either in the touchpad ou usb mouse. Kudos! Any more battery tweaks?

stevesd
4th December 2015, 07:50 AM
I guess it depends on what you're doing. With light web browsing (google news scrolling, page loads, etc) I'm seeing this in power top:

PowerTOP 2.7 Overview Idle stats Frequency stats Device stats Tunables

The battery reports a discharge rate of 5.68 W
The estimated remaining time is 10 hours, 48 minutes

Summary: 774.8 wakeups/second, 141.0 GPU ops/seconds, 0.0 VFS ops/sec and 24.2% CPU use

If I run stress -c 2 I get significantly less :)

PowerTOP 2.7 Overview Idle stats Frequency stats Device stats Tunables

The battery reports a discharge rate of 17.5 W
The estimated remaining time is 3 hours, 25 minutes

Summary: 408.2 wakeups/second, 110.3 GPU ops/seconds, 0.0 VFS ops/sec and 151.5% CPU use

I'd suggest setting all the tunables in powertop, but hovering around 6w is pretty solid.

You updated to the kernel I linked in my post, or fedora repo kernel? I'm still getting that weird cpu sound when I scroll.

hypnox
4th December 2015, 10:02 AM
I updated to the kernel you linked. The weird sound when scrolling was gone after the update.

phil_trick
14th December 2015, 01:48 PM
Hi All,

Just looking at this thread in preparation for the delivery of my XPS13 9350.

There is also very good info on the #xps13 channel on freenode, with people there that have various linux distributions running on the machines.

Phil

friimaind
23rd December 2015, 09:35 AM
Just wanted to post up a quick walk through of Fedora 23 install on the Late 2015 Dell XPS 13 9350 (aka Dell XPS 2016) with intel skylake cpu/graphics.

The Live CD install worked without issue. I used the cinnamon spin. I would suggest avoiding BTRFS as after installing with BTRFS I had a kworker thread running at 70%+ CPU utilization endlessly. A reinstall using ext4 did not have this issue.

The biggest issue I had was with the Intel graphics drivers. Fedora 23 at the time of this post has kernel 4.2-6-300 available, which required setting i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 in kernel boot args (/etc/default/boot, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="..." -> "... i915.preliminary_hw_support=1" + grub2-mkconfig to get hardware support for 3d rendering.

Occasionally I would experience hard lockups and would have to force system power off by holding down the power button. I found upgrading to kernel 4.3 solved this issue.

Building 4.3 from source didn't work well for me, suspend would not work.

Eventually I found this repo: https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/thl/kernel-vanilla-mainline/fedora-kernel-vanilla-mainline.repo and after adding it upgraded the kernel package. Where this repo came from, or who built it I have no idea.

After rebooting I found the touchpad wouldn't work properly, and I added "synclient Clickpad=1" as a startup application. This didn't work until the 2nd reboot, so I'm not entirely sure this solved the issue, but touchpad, sleep, and graphics are working flawlessly now.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

BTW battery life is 10+ hours with primarily terminal/web surfing. Never thought I'd see battery performance so good under Linux. Thanks skylake!!!

Hi stevesd,
I signed up for say "THANK YOU", It was a nightmare with every distro I tried:

Ubuntu 14.04
Ubuntu 15.10
Ubuntu Xenial
Arch

With your guide I finally have an XPS that works perfectly with Kernel 4.4rc6.
On the next days I'm going to write a guide.

Thank you again!! ;)

visco3
26th March 2016, 04:58 PM
I'm having having an intermittent issue with my XPS 9350 in Fedora 23, kernel 4.4.6. The touchpad keeps freezing. This usually happens when I'm using two-finger scrolling, although it happens when that feature is disabled also. When it happens, the cursor is locked into scrolling mode and only the touchpad buttons and keyboard work. I have to play around with a combination of button presses or restart to fix it. Very, very annoying bug. I've tried various things:

Latest BIOS 1.2.3 flashed.
"synclient Clickpad=1" on startup,

The glitch persists though.

My next step was to attempt to change drivers. Does anyone know if the latest Fedora uses libinput or Synaptics drivers?

[awright@GPN9D72 ~]$ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=13 [slave pointer (2)]

In Mouse and Touchpad settings, when I attempt to disable DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad with SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad enabled, I get no input.

I haven't had any problem in Windows 10, although I haven't used it as extensively on this laptop. Might be time to call up Dell and try for a replacement if it's a hardware issue.

stratacast1
5th June 2016, 09:49 PM
To anyone who has tried, how is this laptop with the GNOME desktop? I'd really like to get my hands on one of these later this year because I'm tired of my big, heavy, outdated thinkpad. Seems like results are mixed, but I'm wondering if F24 having a newer kernel will fix these issues even more? Also is this the developer edition laptop or the standard XPS? I'd like to get my hands on the newest one with thunderbolt 3 and usb 3.1 type C