PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why Is cups.service Inactive After Boot?

ghborrmann
22nd November 2015, 04:09 AM
Fedora 23, XFCE desktop installed using netinstall. Running "systemctl status cups.service" immediately after logging in states that this service is inactive (dead). Journalctl -b lists 4 entries:
Started CUPS Scheduler.
Starting CUPS Scheduler.
Listening on CUPS Scheduler.
Starting CUPS Scheduler.
If I issue the command "systemctl start cups.service", the service is active and stays that way. If I don't do that, I still get the following among the shutdown entries (rerieved via "journalctl -b -2" after the next boot):
Closed CUPS Scheduler.
Stopping CUPS Scheduler.
Stopped CUPS Scheduler.
Stopping CUPS Scheduler.
Apparently, systemd considers the service is still running, despite its inactive status. To try to get more information, I've changed the Log Level in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf from warn to debug, but after a new boot I couldn't find any log file with additional information (the directory /var/log/cups was empty). Curiously, only the first two journal entries were present this time (Started and Starting), but the status was still inactive. The cups.service status reports it as enabled, so it should remain active after a new boot. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

nsnbm
22nd November 2015, 05:44 AM
Same here in f23 lxde. I also have to start cups with systemctl despite it being enabled. Just going to http://localhost:631 gets a no contact until I start it up. It's not a bother to me, but seems odd.

ghborrmann
23rd November 2015, 01:34 AM
In followup to my previous post, I have determined that an explicit start to cups.service is not required -- almost any printer-associated command, such as "lpc status" or any lp command (even if there is no printer set up), will start the cups daemon. After every reboot, cups.service is inactive and localhost:631 cannot be found; however, that makes no difference to any other printer operation: issuing any lp command,for example, will automatically start cups.service and will work perfectly just as if the cups daemon had been running previously.

nsnbm
23rd November 2015, 03:19 AM
Thanks for that info. "lpc status" seems the go.