PDA

View Full Version : Firefox & Flash Player, flash player still saying it's outdated when it's not...

Smooey
20th November 2015, 09:15 AM
Followed instructions here: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-adobe-flash-player-10-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

in about:plugins it's enabled, and latest version, but going to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ says it's outdated Flash Player is out of date (11,2,202,548). with yellow button saying to update now, when it's already the latest version. Geesh, doesn't anything work properly anymore? Lol!

Ran in terminal: locate libflashplayer.so

gave two locations:
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

about:plugins

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
Version: 11.2.202.548
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

NPAPI Plugins Wrapper 1.4.4

File: npwrapper.so
Path: /usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/npwrapper.so
Version:
State: Disabled
nspluginwrapper is a cross-platform NPAPI plugin viewer, in particular for linux/i386 plugins. This beta software is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Tried things from these threads, nothing works.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=293755
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=303010
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=293755
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=301957

anyone have ideas how to make firefox and flash work together without issues? or doesn't anything work together anymore as intended and "advertised"? guess it's time to give up, and go back to windows 7, and heck, upgrade to windows 10.. so i have no privacy.. at least windows stuff works. Lol

Chilly Willy
20th November 2015, 02:42 PM
I'm having the same issue, BUT, I'm also still running F17. So I figured it was because my browser / OS is so old. (but I CAN activate it as needed)
You don't say what YOURS is, could it be that you too are running older?

joncr
20th November 2015, 02:54 PM
Back everything out, including any config files this generated, make sure libflashplyer.so and the NPAPI wrapper are gone, and install only flash-plugin.

DBelton
20th November 2015, 04:15 PM
It could also be that the adobe site isn't quite accurate, either.

It might just be looking at version numbers and not what OS it's running on.

For example, the latest version for Windows and other OS's is 19.0.0.245 while Linux is version 11.2.202.548. If it's just checking version number, then it would see the Linux version as way out of date, and tell you to update to the later version, which it thinks is 19.0.0.245.

Most flash apps (which the adobe site uses to check the version) are cross platform, so pretty much ignores what OS it's running on.

kldixon
20th November 2015, 06:29 PM
Smooey : This should explain the situation:
http://www.howtogeek.com/193876/using-firefox-on-linux-your-flash-player-is-old-and-outdated
Basically, if you really must use flash, then install google chrome.

Smooey
20th November 2015, 07:53 PM
I'm having the same issue, BUT, I'm also still running F17. So I figured it was because my browser / OS is so old. (but I CAN activate it as needed)
You don't say what YOURS is, could it be that you too are running older?

Oh, sorry I forgot to put what Fedora I was using, but did post it in the Fedora 21/22/23 forum, so I assumed it was only for those 3 versions of fedora lol. I'm using Fedora 23 KDE.

Back everything out, including any config files this generated, make sure libflashplyer.so and the NPAPI wrapper are gone, and install only flash-plugin.

Not sure how to back out right? Can I just run like "dnf uninstall / remove flash-player" in terminal? Then in terminal "dnf --purge or --remove or --cleanup" or some such? I'm not sure how to just install only flash player either though, cause I did it via terminal and it lists many things to get installed, not just flash-player. I never excluded specific things from being installed in terminal, because I assume most cases, it requires them all.

It could also be that the adobe site isn't quite accurate, either.

It might just be looking at version numbers and not what OS it's running on.

For example, the latest version for Windows and other OS's is 19.0.0.245 while Linux is version 11.2.202.548. If it's just checking version number, then it would see the Linux version as way out of date, and tell you to update to the later version, which it thinks is 19.0.0.245.

Most flash apps (which the adobe site uses to check the version) are cross platform, so pretty much ignores what OS it's running on.

It's possible, I just wish there was a way to let Adobe know I'm using right version of flash and it's updated so it stops saying I'm out of date for flash lol. Like, force a message down adobe's throat .. "I'm using right version dang it, shut up now!" lol

Smooey : This should explain the situation:
http://www.howtogeek.com/193876/using-firefox-on-linux-your-flash-player-is-old-and-outdated
Basically, if you really must use flash, then install google chrome.

Thanks for that, will read it more then. Just sucks, cause other distros does flash fairly easily and adobe flash is more "trusted" than other flash players out there, hence always sticking with it. Wish Adobe kept at updating linux flash player.. >_<

kldixon
20th November 2015, 08:11 PM
Just to avoid any confusion. I meant the web browser
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/
Not the OS.

joncr
20th November 2015, 08:21 PM
You can uninstall the packages you installed by following that site with dnf. Bear in mind I don't install those packages so I can't swear they are your problem, just that installing only flash-plugin from the Adobe repo always works here.

I have had occasions when Firefox's plugin page failed to acknowledge an update. I resolved this by downloading the RPM and manually updating the installed package ("rpm -Uvh packagename...")', removing the Firefox directory inside ~/.mozilla, and restarting Firefox.

I only use Flash on a couple of news sites. If I used it for gaming/videos/whatnot I might need to use Chrome.

Smooey
20th November 2015, 09:54 PM
Just to avoid any confusion. I meant the web browser
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/
Not the OS.

Yeah, I knew you meant Google Chrome browser, I usually avoid that one of course cause of spying and etc. I generally install Iron browser, but most users that put support threads here about how to install it were left holding can and never responded too, so I just been installing Chromium (mainly to sort bookmarks easier with it with "super sorter" bookmark extension), since there's none for Firefox.

You can uninstall the packages you installed by following that site with dnf. Bear in mind I don't install those packages so I can't swear they are your problem, just that installing only flash-plugin from the Adobe repo always works here.

I have had occasions when Firefox's plugin page failed to acknowledge an update. I resolved this by downloading the RPM and manually updating the installed package ("rpm -Uvh packagename...")', removing the Firefox directory inside ~/.mozilla, and restarting Firefox.

I only use Flash on a couple of news sites. If I used it for gaming/videos/whatnot I might need to use Chrome.

I'm not sure what I'll end up doing now, because it's getting more and more technical and complex, and I'm not too experienced in general with Fedora as distro, and no one here gives specific steps on how to do things, where as with opensuse forums most users give detailed information and steps in threads to fix or install or correct things. I didn't learn it like I learned OpenSuse and Kubuntu. I learned the other two distros with tons of wiping and reinstallings that it burnt out the graphic card in month time, but did learn the two distros for most part. Just don't feel like wiping and reinstalling Fedora hundreds of times and doing graphic drivers as well, to burn this replacement card out already (just to learn it) lol. But if I do decide to go and wipe Fedora, I'll probably be going back to OpenSuse or Kubuntu or even Windows 7. Shame though, cause I like linux for the security and less malware etc compared to Windows 7 etc... Just Fedora seemed a little more stable out of box, compared to Kubuntu Wily KDE and OpenSuse Leap KDE, but lacks a lot in other departments.

BBQdave
20th November 2015, 10:23 PM
...the latest version for Windows and other OS's is 19.0.0.245 while Linux is version 11.2.202.548. If it's just checking version number, then it would see the Linux version as way out of date, and tell you to update to the later version, which it thinks is 19.0.0.245.

Smooey, Adobe no longer supports linux with its Flash player. It does provide security patches for the last linux version it supported.

...it's getting more and more technical and complex, and I'm not too experienced in general with Fedora as distro...

The easiest application to add, for flash player support and media support in general, would be Google Chrome. Chrome has up to date support for flash player and you can stream all kinds of media.

I keep Fedora simple. Vanilla (default, no added repos or applications) install of F23 Workstation, and then I add Google Chrome. Easy set up, easy to maintain :)

Note: Adding Google Chrome (adds its own repo) pulls in redhat dependencies.

Smooey
21st November 2015, 12:01 AM
Smooey, Adobe no longer supports linux with its Flash player. It does provide security patches for the last linux version it supported.

Okay, but that sucks though lol.

The easiest application to add, for flash player support and media support in general, would be Google Chrome. Chrome has up to date support for flash player and you can stream all kinds of media.

I keep Fedora simple. Vanilla (default, no added repos or applications) install of F23 Workstation, and then I add Google Chrome. Easy set up, easy to maintain :)

Note: Adding Google Chrome (adds its own repo) pulls in redhat dependencies.

Alright, but where's the good docs on how to install Google Chrome? I've been having to google search for things and most come up as super old threads or 3rd party sites with instructions. Like the old Kenny Rogers song, You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, know when to run. And just go back to opensuse or kubuntu or windows 7 lol, at least until Fedora offers better docs for users, and there's better support in general the forums where users give details for steps on how to install things, command lines, remove / move things, etc.. Opensuse forums and Ubuntu/Kubuntu forums are better in that department along with better docs. Fedora is all over place, not updated if there is docs, and users aren't really specific with what to do / help / etc in forums in general here. I'm also left waiting hours or next day for responses for things, hoping for command lines, proper steps to do in order to handle things, and get even more vague responses or no answers to issues at all, which in turn, I'm stuck googling again. :(

BBQdave
21st November 2015, 12:54 AM
Alright, but where's the good docs on how to install Google Chrome?

Download the package (which actually aims a linux repo from Google at your system), double click it to install. It will take awhile, as it pulls in dependencies from redhat and packages from Google. When you search for Chrome, Google gives you Linux choices (Ubuntu/Debian or Fedora/SuSe) and 32-bit and 64-bit.

If you are using the default Fedora system (Workstation, KDE, Xfce), you want 64-bit Fedora/SuSe Chrome for Linux.

It will save you a lot of time, if you use dnf. But that would have you open a terminal window :)

Download Google Chrome, most likely it will now be in your Downloads folder.

open terminal
su (for root admin) or sudo (for your user account if you have admin priviledges)
type in admin password (the characters will not show as you type the password)
cd /home/dave/Downloads (substitute your user account name for dave)
googlechromebrowserpackage.rpm (the Google Chrome package to install)
dnf install googlechromebrowserpackage.rpm
Something to the affect of do you want to install y/N?
y
Google Chrome will install and say Complete! when finished.
Exit (exit out of root)
Exit (exit terminal and closes terminal window)

Check out dnf on Fedora Docs (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/System_Administrators_Guide/part-Package_Management.html) - very powerful tool to manage Fedora :)

Smooey
21st November 2015, 01:29 AM
Download the package (which actually aims a linux repo from Google at your system), double click it to install. It will take awhile, as it pulls in dependencies from redhat and packages from Google. When you search for Chrome, Google gives you Linux choices (Ubuntu/Debian or Fedora/SuSe) and 32-bit and 64-bit.

If you are using the default Fedora system (Workstation, KDE, Xfce), you want 64-bit Fedora/SuSe Chrome for Linux.

It will save you a lot of time, if you use dnf. But that would have you open a terminal window :)

Download Google Chrome, most likely it will now be in your Downloads folder.

open terminal
su (for root admin) or sudo (for your user account if you have admin priviledges)
type in admin password (the characters will not show as you type the password)
cd /home/dave/Downloads (substitute your user account name for dave)
googlechromebrowserpackage.rpm (the Google Chrome package to install)
dnf install googlechromebrowserpackage.rpm
Something to the affect of do you want to install y/N?
y
Google Chrome will install and say Complete! when finished.
Exit (exit out of root)
Exit (exit terminal and closes terminal window)

Check out dnf on Fedora Docs (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/System_Administrators_Guide/part-Package_Management.html) - very powerful tool to manage Fedora :)

Thanks for those instructions, it worked in terminal for it after i changed directory to downloads/ and ran it there by it's name and installing it lol. Yeah, I use 64 bit and KDE for Linux distros, don't care for gnome. Flash seems to be working in the Chrome... Thanks again for those instructions and etc. :)

Now, curious as to how to figure out which flash is actually installed and how to remove it, to get system back to "default" installation basically.. with firefox back to normal, system back to normal.. etc. I'd run in terminal uninstall command lines, but not sure exactly what to run.. because I don't want to remove anything originally installed by system itself...

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/System_Administrators_Guide/sec-Removing.html

dnf remove flash-player
dnf remove flash-player_xx_xx_xxx.rpm
or...

marko
21st November 2015, 02:29 AM
Followed instructions here: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-adobe-flash-player-10-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

in about:plugins it's enabled, and latest version, but going to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ says it's outdated Flash Player is out of date (11,2,202,548). with yellow button saying to update now, when it's already the latest version. Geesh, doesn't anything work properly anymore? Lol!

What issue? There is no issue, just don't go to the Adobe broken test page. At least I assume there's no real problem
because you didn't say in your post that actual videos don't play

My Adobe flash plugin is up-to-date for Linux which is 11.2.202.548 and I also get the
"Your flash is out of date" on their bogus http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ page,
the problem is that their test code is wrong, it simply compares
the flash version string to the windows string, which is 19.0.0.245.

Smooey
21st November 2015, 04:58 AM
What issue? There is no issue, just don't go to the Adobe broken test page. At least I assume there's no real problem
because you didn't say in your post that actual videos don't play

My Adobe flash plugin is up-to-date for Linux which is 11.2.202.548 and I also get the
"Your flash is out of date" on their bogus http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ page,
the problem is that their test code is wrong, it simply compares
the flash version string to the windows string, which is 19.0.0.245.

Lol. Sorry if I didn't mention that videos weren't playing or not, I could have sworn I did mention it some where, but maybe I didn't. Thanks for informing me that their test page is bogus, had no idea it wasn't working properly.

Regarding the videos playing or not, at first in Firefox without flash installed, videos weren't playing at some sites. After I installed flash player, and it even listed the current version as you have in "about plugins" for firefox, the videos weren't playing either. The same sites I had tried in Google Chrome, the videos played.

I'm not sure why the videos wouldn't play in Firefox though, even after the "about plugins" page said flash was there and current version too. But I have since deleted/shred the fedora 23 partitions with Kubuntu Wily via usb when "trying kubuntu" option in partition editor.. and installing OpenSuse leap again.

I'm also trying to see if the hdmi to hdmi cable I got displays shadowing effect to text, and giving bright colors to links, text in general etc. Even after installing graphic card drivers, checking settings in that for RGB Full.. and brightness, contrasts, etc.. It doesn't take those effects away, it should be nice, crisp, clean display.

I've also had issues with the cable for DVI-D single slot to HDMI, DVI-D single slot in back of monitor to HDMI in graphic card. Screen would flicker and go bat **** crazy. Sometimes after it's been shut off for hours and I turn it on, or just sporadically. I looked closer at the pins in DVI-D plug end, and one or two were slightly shorter than rest, like their tips were broke off. So I got metal file and ran it across evenly as I could until all appeared same level / size. Ultimate test will be after I shut off monitor for hours while I sleep, wake up and turn it on again. If it's not working, I'll have no choice but to get a new cable for few bucks on ebay, or just stick with VGA to VGA.

I'm not sure what's issue with hdmi to hdmi cable, it's brand new, 3ft long so it's not so much for the signals to transfer through. Tried contrast, brightness, etc in monitor control panel on front, nada, nothing. Tried via nvidia settings, nada, nothing. There's no switch to make it hdmi 1 or hdmi 2, one for tv, or one for lcd monitor. It did register as hdmi-1 in settings though. Anyway, gotta try various things before even settling with an OS regardless..

marko
21st November 2015, 05:42 AM
I've found that adblockers (especially now with ublock Origin) frequently interfere with flash playing on many sites. Either the web programmers break ad blocking on purpose or it's by accident.

On youtube I sometimes need to turn off UBlock Origin or else videos will only partially play.

Smooey
21st November 2015, 11:20 PM
I've found that adblockers (especially now with ublock Origin) frequently interfere with flash playing on many sites. Either the web programmers break ad blocking on purpose or it's by accident.

On youtube I sometimes need to turn off UBlock Origin or else videos will only partially play.

I used ublock Origin before, along with NoScript Suite, HttpsEverywhere etc.. But I don't remember having NoScript Suite extension installed when trying to play videos in Firefox. I don't think I did have it then when I tried playing videos just to make sure noting would be preventing videos from playing. Like you said though, I had issues with youtube and others playing when having uBlock Origin installed, had issues with videos playing in Facebook too. I just stopped using uBlock Origin a while back because it was more annoying than helpful.

I'm not sure what distro I'll use now, cause I'm back on OpenSuse Leap, and the VLC player has the double window issue yet (two independent windows), one for main interface and other that plays videos in it. Even the "play videos in main interface" is selected by default, the double window issue happens. Supposedly it's happening in their 13.2 stable release too. It doesn't happen in Fedora 23 nor Kubuntu Wily though. And now there's pulse audio issue where there's no volume in SMPlayer in Leap.. So two video players I mainly use have issues in Leap and users are left holding empty can.

I like Kubuntu Wily, it automatically detects the graphic card drivers I need, has nicer way to install the things I need etc. But after graphic drivers are installed, the boot screens resolutions go to smallest available, big fonts, big input fields, looks like crap.. and if I edit grub to give set resolution for my monitor 1920x1200 it messes it up totally to where I can't enter passphrase to unlock the LVM encryption prompt. Kubuntu doesn't have boot loader to edit easily like OpenSuse has. And with Fedora 23, the boot screens aren't too bad after drivers are installed (if I remember correctly), just Fedora lacks in docs and forum user support. I don't know what I'm going to do or go with, unless I just give in, and go back to Windows 7. >_< Where are the very latest ISO's kept for Fedora 23 KDE, like daily builds.. that have the latest fixes, patches, security updates already packaged in the ISO? Cause the one I downloaded from 10/29/2015.. works, but then I have like 400 some packages to download and install. I'd like to just download the very latest daily build ISO, and use it, to have less updates to download and install after Fedora 23 installation is done. Ones that have passed testing stages etc.