PDA

View Full Version : Using Fedora As Main Operating System

techandy1
17th November 2015, 12:15 AM
Hello everybody,

I am looking to replace my current operating system with Fedora 23. I'm a computer technician, web developer and java programmer. I have been using Ubuntu based operating system for sometime now and I would like to change to Fedora to learn more and changing things up. I'm also tired of the release cycle for Ubuntu based operating systems.

I am on here to get ideas and people's comments about Fedora. I need Apache, PHP, MySQL, NodeJS, phpmyadmin, the latest version of Java JDK, and Ruby on Rails, also the ability to watch movies both online and offline. I also need Google Chrome, but can use Firefox. I also need Steam. I would like to know how to get these programs and enable them to work. I am very interested in using Fedora 23 xfce has my main operating system and replacing my Ubuntu operating system for good if possible.

I am open to suggestions and comments. If you know of any good Fedora videos online or guides please let me know.

Thank you for you time and I look forward to hearing from you.

:D

smr54
17th November 2015, 12:37 AM
In many ways, it's all the same. The packaging is different, some files are in different places. Fedora has a relatively short life cycle, there is no LTS version, though there is CentOS.

You'll need to use some 3rd party repos, notably rpmfusion, to get a lot of the multimedia support, but that's very easily done. Generally, you won't see that much of a difference in how things work, you'll just have to get used to a few changes.
There are plenty of cheat sheets, giving the equivalent apt and dpkg commands for rpm and yum.

The biggest problem you may face is the frequent updates that will sometimes break things.
Given what you list, however, I don't think you'll have that much trouble .

nsnbm
17th November 2015, 12:48 AM
techandy1 wrote:

I'm also tired of the release cycle for Ubuntu based operating systems.

The release cycle for fedora is roughly 6 months.

techandy1
17th November 2015, 12:50 AM
In many ways, it's all the same. The packaging is different, some files are in different places. Fedora has a relatively short life cycle, there is no LTS version, though there is CentOS.

You'll need to use some 3rd party repos, notably rpmfusion, to get a lot of the multimedia support, but that's very easily done. Generally, you won't see that much of a difference in how things work, you'll just have to get used to a few changes.
There are plenty of cheat sheets, giving the equivalent apt and dpkg commands for rpm and yum.

The biggest problem you may face is the frequent updates that will sometimes break things.
Given what you list, however, I don't think you'll have that much trouble .

How long is the life cycle and when a new version is available do you have to upgrade to that version or will you continue to get those updates while using the previous version?

dd_wizard
17th November 2015, 12:56 AM
Basically, it's 6 months support after a new release. F21 went end of life shortly after F23 was released. However, upgrading to the next release is pretty trivial with dnf.

dd_wizard

jims
17th November 2015, 01:08 AM
How long is the life cycle and when a new version is available do you have to upgrade to that version or will you continue to get those updates while using the previous version?
Fedora is a 6 month release cycle. Currently, f23 is the current release. Updates for the immediately previous release (f22) are available until the current release is replaced.

I like a few others remain on the n-1 release until the n+1 release goes live.