PDA

View Full Version : How to fix Plymouth's graphical boot in Fedora 23?

jordan83
8th November 2015, 10:46 PM
My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6520 and features nvidia Optimus.

After upgrading to Fedora 23 and discovering that it does not support nvidia cards yet (at least not until X.org 1.18 becomes officially stable) I removed akmod-nvidia and re-enabled the Intel graphic card in the BIOS.
I had to do so because the nouveau driver causes the laptop to freeze after some time.

Now I'm now noticing a couple of strange problems with the boot procedure (I created a short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kaLRv2mXU) to capture them):

1. The boot is text-based whereas I would have expected the nice graphical version. I know that nvidia "breaks" Plymouth's graphical boot, however with the intel card I would have expected a different outcome.(*)
2. I'm using full disk encryption and I need to insert the password at boot time. I noticed that the password prompt does not appear unless I press the "ESC" button. Why that? It used to appear automatically.

(*) in the past I modified /etc/default/grub to (try to) fix plymouth with nvidia, following this guide (http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2014/fedora-20-nvidia-guide/). However it didn't work and the boot always stayed text-based.
I reverted the content of that file, currently it is this:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.luks.uuid=luks-017c9538-7518-40c3-b9c9-6492d4ec9c86 rd.lvm.lv=fedora_merlino/swap $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) rd.lvm.lv=fedora_merlino/root rhgb quiet"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

Any idea on how I can fix these problems? I'm perfectly ok if graphical boot does not work with nvidia, I wish to see it working at least with the Intel card.

Thank you in advance

nsnbm
9th November 2015, 12:27 AM
It looks like there might be some info if you run the suggested command from the output on your video of the boot-up:

Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details

And perhaps look at what's in /etc/modules-load.d/ and /usr/lib/modules-load.d/ and run: dmesg | grep -i module, just for starters.

jordan83
9th November 2015, 09:27 AM
It looks like there might be some info if you run the suggested command from the output on your video of the boot-up:

This is the output of the command:

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (exited) since lun 2015-11-09 09:00:40 CET; 13min ago
Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
man:modules-load.d(5)
Process: 1796 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1796 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-modules-load.service

nov 09 09:00:40 merlino systemd[1]: Started Load Kernel Modules.

I think though that the error happens because systemd tries to load the modules before the disk is unencrypted, hence it fails. But this is just my guess.

And perhaps look at what's in /etc/modules-load.d/ and /usr/lib/modules-load.d/ and run: dmesg | grep -i module, just for starters.

The directory /etc/modules-load.d/ is empty.
The directory /usr/lib/modules-load.d/ contains the file VirtualBox.conf which contains this:

vboxdrv
vboxnetflt
vboxnetadp

btw, virtualbox works correctly, the modules are there.

The output of dmesg | grep -i module is

[ 0.060273] ACPI: Added _OSI(Module Device)
[ 1.252085] usb 1-1.4: Product: DW375 Bluetooth Module
[ 2.141327] systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
[ 2.147663] systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
[ 2.151405] systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
[ 2.151507] systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
[ 2.151556] audit: type=1130 audit(1447055944.082:2): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=kernel msg='unit=systemd-modules-load comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=failed'
[ 2.151589] systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
[ 98.510361] vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 98.536387] RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
[ 98.536390] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[ 98.536390] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
[ 98.536391] RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.