PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Win10 and Samba



pnelsonsr
19th October 2015, 04:59 PM
f22 server running samba as a server. Had win7 clients connecting fine for years. A couple of users upgraded to win10 and all of them can not connect to the samba server. Is there something different about win10 that makes connection to samba fail?

flyingdutchman
19th October 2015, 05:13 PM
Yes.

Sorry, I could not resist it.

The Samba server logs will tell you what is the matter:
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch12.html

pnelsonsr
19th October 2015, 05:39 PM
Ha!

I probably should have said it. I did look through the logs, but I'm not seeing anything that tells me what is needed for win10 connection... I'm at log level 2 and I don't see anything (or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at).

pnelsonsr
19th October 2015, 09:02 PM
I decided to setup a test samba server and see if I could get a basic configuration working. And I was able to do this with just samba docs basic config. So I then knew it was my config, but not if it was a shares parameter or global parameter. So I cleared all shares except 1 public share and I cleared out all global parameters except workgroup and netbios name. Then I tried to connect. Which worked. So then I started adding back each of my global parameters one at a time (plus I looked up what the parameter was for here (https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html) to make sure I didn't have an old outdated parameter). Then I'd restart smb nmb and test connection on the win10 client (using 'net use * \\<net bios name>\public'). I got to one setting where it failed to connect which was:

smb ports = 139
the parameter defaults to 445 139. This setting works on < win7 systems (not sure about win80 and win81) but not on win10. This parameter is set to 139 so that the %m variable substitution will work, which we use with client log file creation parameter like:

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
per the smb.conf parameter documentation (see link above) you needed to set the smb ports to only 139 for it to work. However, doing so broke the win10 connections. But, I confirmed that with samba 4.2.3 just deleting that smb ports parameter and leaving in the log file parameter (with the %m) works fine and the %m.log file is created and populated with log data.

I tested out the new smb.conf files on all of our samba servers and with win7 and win10 clients connecting and all is working now.