PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fedora 23 beta and virtualbox guest additions

philippe972
25th September 2015, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I have installed last Fedora 23 beta as guest in virtualbox.

I have also installed the following packages : gcc make dkms kernel-devel kernel-headers but the guest additions install always fails. (there is no error message but the installation suddenly stop)

Thanks for any ideas !

antikythera
25th September 2015, 10:24 AM
same issue here. I updated Fedora to get the latest kernel files so they matched and restarted, then installed the requirements. It appeared to work and then stalled with no error message at the end of the processes run.

lsatenstein
25th September 2015, 04:30 PM
Downgrade dnf from version 1.2 and redo updates. You will not see dnf 1.2 in the update list. I did that and received 200+ updates, mainly for Gnome 3.18.

I suspect that beta-RC2 was delayed until the Gnome 3.18 stuff was integrated and tested. So, I am guessing that by mid-week coming, there will be a beta-RC2 out.

loukingjr
27th September 2015, 02:58 PM
Same issue. Can't install the guest additions. Lots of disk activity that never ends.

tstate
2nd October 2015, 03:24 PM
Same problem here. But I found out that the VM was running out of memory. Doubling the amount from 2GB to 4GB solved this issue. The installer runs now through to the end.
Sadly the resolution still stands at 1024x768. There is still something wrong:(

loukingjr
2nd October 2015, 03:27 PM
The problem turns out to be the pre-release X.org server in Fedora 23 which VirtualBox doesn't support yet.

JoshuaA
3rd October 2015, 11:24 PM
You can install/downgrade xorg-x11 to 1.17.2-2 packages from TC2.

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/23_Alpha_TC2/Workstation/x86_64/os/Packages/x/

I had to link the xorg driver manually :

ln -s /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/vboxvideo_drv_117.so /lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so

It works for me and allows enough desktop resolution to use it such as it is.

tstate
6th October 2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the tip.
I downgraded x11 with:
dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
reinstalled the GA and now everything is fine :D
Hopefully the next version of the GA will arrive soon.

philippe972
8th October 2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks a lot tstate.

I follow your method and it works fine.

sumitbhardwaj
10th October 2015, 05:02 PM
I got fed up of using Virtual Box with Fedora Pre-Release versions as Fedora always packs latest X.org server in these versions and VirtualBox always lags behind. I am now using a QEMU image managed via Virtual Machine Manager tool (Boxes is too simplistic for my needs) and at least I get full screen video with decent performance. I don't want to downgrade packages....I test it as it is packaged by Fedora team.