PDA

View Full Version : How to download compile & install deadbeef-0.6.2 64-Bit for Fedora 22.

vilestyle
18th September 2015, 03:37 AM
DeaDBeeF is an audio player for Linux similar to foobar2000 on the Windows Platform.
I could not find any documentaion reguarding installation on fedora 22, so i decided to write my own.

======================[ WARNING/ACHTUNG ]=====================
I am a Linux n00b and this is my first write-up, if i break your installation, that's your fault, i will not be held accountable, i would always make sure i had any important data saved to an external HDD or somewhere where it cannot become lost/damaged or corrupted.

-- Before we even get started on this we need to find out some info on your CPU cores
(if you do not know this already, you will have to look it up using Terminal)

Open Terminal and type:

$ sudo grep cores /proc/cpuinfo

- Info will be displayed eg:

$ cpu cores : 2
$ cpu cores : 2

-- Ok, with remembering that info or writing it down, Now we can begin to download and install.

Step 1: Navigate to the Webpage for DeaDBeeF
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/deadbeef/files/deadbeef-0.6.2.tar.bz2/download) and download the .tar file: deadbeef-0.6.2-tar.bz2

Step 2: Install Dependencies by opening up your Terminal and typing:

$ sudo dnf install flac-devel timidity++ libtool dbus-devel libsamplerate-devel libvorbis-devel alsa-lib-devel libcurl-devel libmad-devel ffmpeg-devel wavpack-devel libsndfile-devel libcdio-devel libcddb-devel pulseaudio-libs-devel gtk2-devel gcc-c++ faad2-devel intltool zlib-devel libzip-devel libogg-devel imlib2-devel libstdc++-static yasm libICE-devel libSM-devel gstreamer-{ffmpeg,plugins-{good,ugly,bad{,-free,-nonfree}}}

-- When these have finished installing, we are going to start installing the deadbeef-0.6.2.tar.bz2 file:

Step 3: Navigate to the downloads folder using Terminal by typing:

$ cd Downloads
$ ls
$ cd deadbeef-0.6.2
$ ls
$ sudo ./configure && make -j3 && sudo make install

-- (Number 3 after the -j being your number of CPU Cores plus 1.)
-- When this has finished, hopefully with no errors, you will want to add a short-cut to the
-- Gnome Shell Launcher

Step 4: Then to add a shortcut to Gnome Shell navigate to the applications folder by typing:

$ cd /usr/share/applications/
$ sudo nano

-- Don't be alarmed if the whole Terminal windows changes completely this is because we
-- have opened nano (nano is a powerful editor of text files and will open an editable text file, -- if you notice the bottom bar it will have a key looking something like this, ^X, don';t worry -- if this looks confusing it is just Ctrl + X to Save and so on)

-- Paste the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=DeaDBeeF
Comment=DeaDBeeF Audio Player
Exec=/home/yourusernamehere/Downloads/deadbeef-0.6.2/deadbeef
Icon=/home/yourusernamehere/Downloads/deadbeef.png
Terminal=false

Step 5: Now press ^X to save this file, remembering that ^X is just Crtl + X, it will prompt you to name this file, Name the file deadbeef.desktop

Press Y to save (if this does not work, you must be root or have used the command sudo)

Ok, you are done, Now if this worked properly with no errors (hopefully), you should see the DeaDBeeF icon in your 'Applications Manager' if not just shoot me a message and i will try and help you out.

Hope this helped anyone :)