PDA

View Full Version : F22 - Firefox Crashes

djl47
24th August 2015, 07:13 AM
Firefox has crashed twice today. That's unusual. Anyone else seeing crashes? I remember a recent Firefox update.
[djl@widderschynnes ~]$ dnf list firefox
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:10:12 ago on Sun Aug 23 23:00:20 2015.
Installed Packages
firefox.x86_64 40.0-4.fc22 @System

antikythera
24th August 2015, 10:17 AM
There's a newer version on updates-testing. 40.0-7, maybe worth trying that.

bob
24th August 2015, 10:50 AM
I've also noticed that Firefox has been very problematic in the last couple of months, freezing and crashing unexpectedly many times, despite several updates. IMHO, it's worth installing Chrome as an alternative.

alphacrucis
24th August 2015, 11:14 AM
Quite a number of crashes since v 40. Seems to havee settled down with 40.0-7 from updates-testing.

WaltS48
24th August 2015, 02:09 PM
Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes | Firefox Help (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-crashes-troubleshoot-prevent-and-get-help?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Firefox+crashes)

bob
24th August 2015, 02:53 PM
Useful tips, however before 'refreshing' Firefox, it's nice to record your font/size/etc. settings as this wipes them out. When it deleted my homepage, I thought I'd dumped my bookmarks as well, but at least those were retained.

Anyway, the updates-testing version seems to be solid. Edit: One thing remains though; Chrome plays video feeds a lot better than Firefox, which remains choppy and fragmented.

lsatenstein
24th August 2015, 03:13 PM
I'm using version 40.0, and thus far, the only problem I could have with it was created by myself. If for example, I had Firefox open with some multiple sessions, and I reboot or shutdown for the night, Firefox will restart in recovery mode.

Fortunately, when Firefox crashes, there are no casualties.

AlFrugal
24th August 2015, 09:54 PM
I've also noticed that Firefox has been very problematic in the last couple of months, freezing and crashing unexpectedly many times, despite several updates. IMHO, it's worth installing Chrome as an alternative.

I've used Firefox on Fedora since FC5 and up until several months ago it was dependable. For the past several months I can rely on Firefox crashing at least once per day. I'm too busy to try to troubleshoot it. My daily logwatch report frequently lists a segmentation fault in chrome_child_thread ??? About two weeks ago I installed Chrome and have been using it instead of Firefox. It has only crashed once or twice.

antikythera
24th August 2015, 10:22 PM
FF are implementing a new extension API which will be compatible with PPAPI. Maybe that is what the new errors relate to.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/