PDA

View Full Version : Symlink gets overwritten on restart

sketchymandan
19th August 2015, 10:09 AM
Hi,
I've had to manually make a symlink for the libGL file after I've installed the nvidia drivers for any GL stuff to work. The link is -

ln -s -f /usr/lib64/nvidia/libGL.so.1 /lib64/libGL.so.1

I need to do this so I can use the right version of libGL, but this is reset everytime i restart the pc to point to the original libGL, which i guess is for the nouveau drivers?

I found a post before of someone with the same issue but i just can't seem to find it anymore.

Can anyone let me know how to make this permanent and also, what is it that is causing it to reset everytime?

Cheers
Dan

osce0
20th August 2015, 05:47 AM
Try installing nvidia driver from rpmfusion repository. They automatically do all the necessary setup so you don't have to manually install them by hand.

It's been over a decade I even touched nvidia driver directly, and the rpmfusion driver package works great without any modification.

sketchymandan
20th August 2015, 01:49 PM
That's how i installed it. This normally works for me, i had done the same procedure on CentOS and Fedora in the past, and even this installation I'm on now, but I recently had to reinstall it and since then I've been having this issue.

sketchymandan
21st August 2015, 11:50 AM
ok, so ive just done a fresh install of fedora to test this out, and the first thing i did was install the nvidia driver from the rpmfuion repo, restarted, everything works fine. As soon as i installed the mesa-libGLU-devel package, my libGL symlink stops pointing to the nvidi libGL.

ANy idea whats going on?