PDA

View Full Version : What is /dev/mapper/fedora--server-home? Why it's so big?

jang430
18th August 2015, 09:44 AM
I noticed my hdd is occupied by a big directory? File?

/dev/sda1 477M 122M 326M 28% /boot
/dev/mapper/fedora--server-home 242G 230G 0 100% /home
tmpfs 197M 0 197M 0% /run/user/0
binfmt_misc 0 0 0 - /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

What is /dev/mapper/fedora--server-home? How do I rectify this?

Regards

ocratato
18th August 2015, 11:30 AM
/dev/mapper/fedora--server-home is a "file system".

This is the container in which your files and directories are placed. It was probably initialised to be that size when it was created.

The "100% /home" implies to me that this file system is now full. If you can still log in then you should remove files you no longer need.

jang430
18th August 2015, 12:05 PM
but it's a newly setup server. All that is there are a few files, and a lot of users. 25 or so. Each user will have taken up just a small disk space without a lot of files being used yet.

DBelton
18th August 2015, 06:37 PM
I believe Fedora still defaults to using LVM by defualt on a fresh install.

/dev/mapper/fedora--server-home is the name of a LVM logical volume. It is your /home filesystem.

sea
18th August 2015, 07:19 PM
And if that is the whole output, its your root partition as well.

Regardless wether its LVM (the 'default';not recomended as home user) or standard partitions (not the default), i always recomend to separate the '/' and the '/home' partition.

The root partition ('/') should be around 12gb for a minimal system up to 32gb for a family computer.
If its a laptop, or a computer with less than 3 gb ram, i also recomend to reserve about 1.5 times your ram (3gb ram = 4.5 gb swap), but at least 750mb as swap if you have 512mb ram or less.

All the space remaining can be used for the home ('/home') partition, for as many users you like.

hth

jang430
19th August 2015, 12:46 AM
do you mean /dev/mapper/fedora--server-home is also equivalent to /home? So what needs to be done is remove some content in /home?

jang430
19th August 2015, 12:58 AM
when I do a du -h /foldername, it shows /foldername/1 using 14MB, /foldername/2 using 30MB, it finally shows the /foldername using whole 229GB, even when after I add all MB usage of folders, it just amounts to less than 2GB. My question is, does it pre-allot whole free space for the folder? Does that mean I still have room to store files?

ocratato
19th August 2015, 01:26 AM
when I do a du -h /foldername, it shows /foldername/1 using 14MB, /foldername/2 using 30MB, it finally shows the /foldername using whole 229GB, even when after I add all MB usage of folders, it just amounts to less than 2GB. My question is, does it pre-allot whole free space for the folder? Does that mean I still have room to store files?

I don't believe there is a pre-allocation involved. To me it looks like there is a very large file in /foldername

Do an ls -al to list the files in /foldername.

It is possible that the file will not be listed. This can happen if the file is deleted while some process still has it open - the process will continue using the file even though it has no name in any folder. Normally this would be fixed by a reboot, but this may be an issue with a full disk - you may not be able to log in.

jang430
19th August 2015, 04:00 AM
Hello ocratato,

Thanks for your help. I did find the file that has been causing problems. 200+ GB. It filled up the entire folder/ drive. Will look into it.

Thanks all in this forum/ thread that helped.