PDA

View Full Version : Patience, Please!

bob
12th August 2015, 04:49 AM
It seems the Forum is under a spam attack from one or more Chinese spammers. We are taking steps to back-trace this individual and refer him/her/them to international and Chinese authorities.

Meanwhile, we are forced to place stricter posting regulations for the time being, so if you find your thread being moderated, please PM me with the details and I'll review it.

nonamedotc
12th August 2015, 12:42 PM
I was wondering about that myself. Everyday I login, I see that you or Glenn have removed a bunch of posting ... :blink:

What have they got against us? ;)

lsatenstein
12th August 2015, 02:13 PM
They don't have forums in China, and if they do, they emulate this one. So points made here are lifted (piracy) for posting in Chinese within their forums. -- Lack of ethics --

R3v0lut10nary
14th August 2015, 12:24 AM
We are taking steps to back-trace this individual and refer him/her/them to international and Chinese authorities.

LOL there's a good chance "the authorities" would hire them!

wintonian
14th August 2015, 01:02 AM
Is it possible to at least white list URL's from the Fedora (and wider Linux?) world, e.g. rpmfusion.org, fedoraproject.org, fedorahosted.org, kernel.org, fedoraforum.org ;) etc?

nonamedotc
14th August 2015, 01:26 PM
Is it possible to at least white list URL's from the Fedora (and wider Linux?) world, e.g. rpmfusion.org, fedoraproject.org, fedorahosted.org, kernel.org, fedoraforum.org ;) etc?

That's a valid question ... hmmm ...

bob
14th August 2015, 04:37 PM
Guys, vBulletin's option for blocking urls doesn't allow whitelisting. As of now, the block only means that the post would be moderated (there, but not seen by anyone until an Admin or CM can approve it).

Believe me, this is a PITA for you and me both, but we don't want to turn the Forum into a garbage dump, which is what the spammer intends.

antikythera
14th August 2015, 05:27 PM
Any way you can block the adverts that appear when not signed in next to posts? They are links to other sites unrelated to fedora or the forum. I don't believe for one minute you get any revenue from them.

Related searches provided by media.net

bob
14th August 2015, 07:54 PM
No, that provides income which is donated.

antikythera
15th August 2015, 08:21 AM
Fair enough, just thought I'd ask. Thanks for the clarification Bob.

oldwhtman
18th August 2015, 02:40 PM
Is this Chinese invasion the reason my posts are not posting? I've tried to ask a question about the Tcl tdbc extension missing from Fedora 21 and it never shows up. I swear I'm not Chinese. I'm Welsh-American with a touch of German and Scottish. Or am I just in the wrong place.

bob
18th August 2015, 03:02 PM
Hmmm....Welsh-American? Might have problems with that too.. :dance:

However, I see all your four posts so don't know what problem you're encountering, including that last one. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=306327

Well, it's been a week or so since our Chinese "friend" has paid us a visit. Might be time to un-tweak some things.

oldwhtman
18th August 2015, 03:20 PM
I think I used the wrong method to ask my question earlier. I used the "Ask Fedora" link instead of "New Thread". My apologies. I don't come here often and when I do I'm usually lost and confused. Where do "Ask Fedora" questions go? I'm thinking the trash bin ... or to China so they can study what's on our minds.

bob
18th August 2015, 04:01 PM
There are two different Forums, not connected at all. AskFedora is the Fedora Project Q/A site that's funded and controlled by the Project. We're an independent Forum, not a part of the Project, however recognized by the Project as being a main vehicle for problems/issues with the distro.

bob
20th August 2015, 01:26 PM
People, trying to get things back to our usual "perfection", however I'm noticing that there may still be glitches in posting. If you find that you're unable to post or find that your post is in "moderation", please PM me or one of the Admins who are on duty to analyze the problem.

smr54
20th August 2015, 11:13 PM
Don't worry too much about it Bob. When a post of mine was moderated, my aggravation was at the spammers, who post things that people won't buy anyway...but make it so we can't have nice things.
Thank you for your hard work on these forums for the benefit of all of us.

I just sent a complaint, although I was so annoyed I probably just got my email sent to the junk file. I told them to find someone in their company who understood how the Internet works and ask that person if they think this will stop one person from illegally viewing their content.