PDA

View Full Version : Start Menu

FedoraUser22
28th July 2015, 07:25 PM
Hello. After booting Feodra, I see the desktop without any panels. The panels come only when I press the start button or hover the cursor to the top left or click activities. Can something be done so that the panel is displayed along with the Desktop without having me to press the start button?

UndiscoveredBum
28th July 2015, 07:35 PM
Gnome's desktop panel is on the top by default and includes the activities button on the left, the clock in the middle, and the settings and power button on the right. This panel is missing for you?

If not, then this behavior is correct.

If you are talking about the left side panel, that is a feature of unity, not gnome. Gnome's "favorites" bar is on the left side after doing one of the three things you mentioned.

FedoraUser22
28th July 2015, 07:42 PM
Gnome's desktop panel is on the top by default and includes the activities button on the left, the clock in the middle, and the settings and power button on the right. This panel is missing for you?

If not, then this behavior is correct.

If you are talking about the left side panel, that is a feature of unity, not gnome. Gnome's "favorites" bar is on the left side after doing one of the three things you mentioned.

No that panel isn't missing. Can something be done so that the left side panel is displayed with the Desktop or maybe, after logging in, start screen is displayed by default instead of the Desktop. This isn't a big issue, just........................

UndiscoveredBum
28th July 2015, 07:46 PM
You can do this by having an additional Cairo-dock (or tint2 or some other panel) at start up and putting it on the left side of your screen.

You could also dig into the config files for gnome and make it show the favorites bar within the shell and desktop both, but unless you have some prior experience with the gnome config files, I would recommend putting a second panel on your desktop.

WWDERW
29th July 2015, 10:17 PM
Also, as similarly stated, I've heard of another dock which has been becoming popular, docky, dnf install docky, (with rpmfusion repo(s).) I was going to install it, but it had a pretty good array of dependencies, so I just figured: I'll just get the hang of this GNOME 3 environment the way it was designed to be and go for the full experience.

I had Docky on an Ubuntu install that I had on a netbook. I prefer this setup much more to having docks. It was a hard change to do at first, but I do like this setup much more.

I've been using my Fedora setup so much now that when I actually get back to my production computer that only runs Win 7, I'm having to catch myself from going to the top left.

Just have to what until my Lenova P500 comes in, make some tweaks and I'll have Fedora with VB to run my production software.