PDA

View Full Version : Few Problems on FC2

bamboo_spider
28th December 2004, 07:46 AM
Hi

Just in the last few days I have been facing some problems with various software in FC2. My Machine specs are below. The problems are

1. Evolution Mail 1.4 - is slow and and gives up frequently asking me to force quit.

2. The Gnome PDF viewer cannot read from a pdf file exported from a OOO 1.1.1 document - it shows up as hash signs

3. A general slow down in the system as a whole

Further the only program I have installed in the recent past is real player10gold rpm

What could be the problems and what diagnostics should I do.

imdeemvp
28th December 2004, 08:38 AM
How fast is you p3? Also open terminal and run:
topto see what's running. If you see stuff that you dont need run:
system-config-servicesuncheck what you dont need.

bamboo_spider
28th December 2004, 08:58 AM

Tasks 82 Total, 1 running, 81 sleeping

I think its a 833 hZ processor PIII

There don't seem to be too many processes that I understand need to be stopped, most seem technical enough to be there :( and am afraid of stopping something that am not sure of

imdeemvp
28th December 2004, 09:21 AM
See I have a new laptop that came with amd athlon m-xp 2800+ (=2.1ghz/512ram). I installed fc2 and it felt very slow to me. RH/Fedora are know for eating your ram. So if you are moving to fc3 I recommend using XFCE desktop mode. It light and fast.

bamboo_spider
28th December 2004, 10:30 AM
Is 128 mb RAM less for FC3. ?? because we are thingking of migrating one desktop with those basic specs to FC3, cause XP is really hangin on us all the time and it irritates me to see ms around any more

also RH/FC know for eating your ram but how does it compare with MS ?