PDA

View Full Version : how to save .rpm files

linuxingg
22nd April 2015, 10:58 AM
hi
i want to save the programs that i download and install using yum so i could install it on other systems
i am running Fedora Desktop 20
thanks

PabloTwo
22nd April 2015, 02:02 PM
You can tell yum to retain rpm packages it downloads when you do either an "install" or "update" by changing a setting in the /etc/yum.conf file. The line to edit is "keepcache=0". Change the "0" to a "1".

You'll then find the retained packages in /var/cache/yum/<arch>/<release>/<repo>/packages/

Such as:

/var/cache/yum/x86_64/21/updates/packages/
This information has been given many many time on this forum. Use of the forum search function would probably have revealed how to do it without having to ask the same question that has already been answered so many times in the past.

lsatenstein
22nd April 2015, 02:09 PM
You can tell yum to retain rpm packages it downloads when you do either an "install" or "update" by changing a setting in the /etc/yum.conf file. The line to edit is "keepcache=0". Change the "0" to a "1".

You'll then find the retained packages in /var/cache/yum/<arch>/<release>/<repo>/packages/

Such as:

/var/cache/yum/x86_64/21/updates/packages/
This information has been given many many time on this forum. Use of the forum search function would probably have revealed how to do it without having to ask the same question that has already been answered so many times in the past.

Hi PabloTwo

Before you admonish the gentleman for asking his question, I would have looked at his enrollment date. He is a true newbie. And I bet he does not yet know his way around this forum.

Actually, your comments and my feedback to admins has been to request the forum mangement to create a topic area, for hints, solutions, etc. I did that for myself in a way with my signature link. But we need something more universal.

PabloTwo
22nd April 2015, 02:51 PM
Hi PabloTwo

Before you admonish the gentleman for asking his question, I would have looked at his enrollment date. He is a true newbie. And I bet he does not yet know his way around this forum.
You may see my remark to the OP about using the forum search function as "admonishment", but I see it as "guidance". And just because the OP is new to this forum doesn't mean he is new to forums in general and how they work, though it's certainly possible this is his first "forum" experience. And what's so darned wrong with giving a newbie a gentle "push" in the right direction?

lsatenstein
22nd April 2015, 02:58 PM
Is that response a "turn off reply!" or a welcome message? If the latter, I would ease into the reply with "I see you are a new user, welcome. And by the way...... "

That's me, my grandfather experience kicking in. 55 years in IT, 25 of them managing projects and staff.

PabloTwo
22nd April 2015, 03:22 PM
Is that response a "turn off reply!" or a welcome message?
Well Leslie, that's entirely up to the person it's directed at to decide. A Fedora Forum "diplomat" I am not. I don't, and won't, coddle people, and especially those people who think everything should be smothered in sweet honey. My disposition and tolerance level to postings here on the forum are aligned much more closely to that of former forum member Leigh123Linux than anyone would ever suspect. I just manage to "bite my tongue" and "refrain" better than Leigh did. This discussion between you and I ends here.

@linuxingg - Please ignore the previous banter between two "old codgers" on your thread here and carry on as if it never happened.