PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New System

djl47
16th April 2015, 04:10 AM
I bought an HP ZBook 17 G2 with the AMD ATI Firepro graphics adapter. I loaded Fedora 21 night before last without any major problems.

There are two annoyances:

When booting the system in standalone (Not connected to an external monitor) the system boots but never displays the login screen. I accidentally discovered a workaround to this when I pressed the power button long enough to put it to sleep instead of shut it down. When I pressed the power button again the system woke up and showed me wallpaper. I hit escape and signed in. This does not happen when the system is connected to an external monitor.

The second problem I have is fan noise. Even when the system is idle the fan runs for several minutes before shutting off.

Can anyone help me diagnose these annoyances?

And a shoutout to dobbi, cylinder57 (N Frame fan?) and anyone else who has posted instructions on installing and verifying the signatures of the rpmfusion repos. This was my fifth overall Fedora install and was the smoothest. (Not counting the Red Hat installs I played with in the nineties.)

antikythera
16th April 2015, 09:38 AM
A very nice machine. The fan running after shutdown is possibly related to thunderport. Does F21 even support that device fully? Not sure.

Anyhow I've known ASUS computers with firewire to exhibit the same behaviour. It is normally down to power management options set up wrong for the device in Windows.

Obviously this being F21 I don't know what you could change personally. Have you checked in EUFI to see if there is a setting to keep the fan running after shutdown to prevent the CPU heat soaking? In such a high end machine that is also possible.

As for the graphics, can you use the Fn Key switch when the login screen should be displayed?

djl47
16th April 2015, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the response. I did not mean to say that the fan runs after system shut down. I meant to say that the fan runs and makes noise for extended periods even when the system is mostly idle. The fan will shut off from time to time before resuming at the slightest amount of use.

I am hoping to find some insights into the thermal management thresholds that activate the fan. It seems like current settings are too low. I'll look through the firmware.

antikythera
16th April 2015, 05:52 PM
indeed, look for a fan setting. should be normal/silent options available.

sea
16th April 2015, 09:03 PM
What you say sounds like you had the monitor connected when installing fedora?
I would assume this would have set the 'xrandr settings' to use the external monitor by default rather then the default laptop screen.

Not sure where to look for files for permament change.
If nothing else was done yet, a fresh installation with unpluged monitor (IF my assumption is the cause) might be fastest solution.
Saying that, as for me a fresh installation off an usb stick takes around 20mins.
Searching google and do the tweaking probably takes more time.

hth

djl47
16th April 2015, 10:41 PM
What you say sounds like you had the monitor connected when installing fedora?
I would assume this would have set the 'xrandr settings' to use the external monitor by default rather then the default laptop screen.
I ran the install standalone from a live DVD. System was connected to the power supply and nothing else.

I recall reading the Fedora 21 uses Wayland during startup. Could my problem be related.

antikythera
16th April 2015, 11:07 PM
I thought the Wayland login screen is being introduced in F22 so I don't think that would be a contributory factor. Wayland doesn't seem to be present in F21 Workstation on my VM before the login screen as an option to proceed with.

F22 however renders the login screen in Wayland and you can then choose not to use it for the GNOME DE via the settings cog icon while you log in.

djl47
17th April 2015, 06:32 AM
You're right about F22 and Wayland. I've been reading about both F21 and F22 and conflated the introduction of Wayland.

I poked around in the firmware settings tonight and found a "Fan on while on AC Power" setting. The setting wasn't checked but I checked it and unchecked it anyway just to make sure it was off. I have been enjoying a nice quiet evening browsing without fan noise. Thanks for the pointer.

I still have the odd stand alone boot to a black screen issue but the work around is easy so I'm marking this solved. If anyone has any ideas on what might be happening with that please post. The FN keys didn't do anything.

lsatenstein
17th April 2015, 03:24 PM
A new system can also be Fedora22. Beta-rc3 was out yesterday and I installed it. So far, the only complaint is about nautilus. The keep tweaking it and not adding functionality, but actually dumbing it down. Then there is the new black menu designs. So now we have light (greyish white) on a black background, or for passwords, the data entry fields are rendered black as well.

Have these Gnome developers ever thought about seniors who are wearing bifocals and who need bright colours to make use of Fedora less tiring?

antikythera
17th April 2015, 11:09 PM
A new system can also be Fedora22. Beta-rc3 was out yesterday and I installed it. So far, the only complaint is about nautilus. The keep tweaking it and not adding functionality, but actually dumbing it down. Then there is the new black menu designs. So now we have light (greyish white) on a black background, or for passwords, the data entry fields are rendered black as well.

Have these Gnome developers ever thought about seniors who are wearing bifocals and who need bright colours to make use of Fedora less tiring?

There is a high contrast theme which is supposedly being improved for GNOME 3.16.1 check in yumex for it. Should be tucked away in there somewhere.