PDA

View Full Version : NetworkManager icon / applet missing from panel after update

justin88
16th March 2015, 01:49 AM
on Fedora 20 , XFCE, after yum update there was no longer a networkmanager icon on the panel (NetworkManager applet) . I use this applet often and I would have to look up the commands without a GUI, but luckily the fix was found ...

- the fix - go to settings - session & startup - advanced tab - in Compatibility section - ensure that "Launch Gnome services on startup" - is selected - logoff - logon - ok now . I've never looked at that setting until this issue - hope this helps.

tkalfaoglu
1st April 2015, 06:39 AM
yep, fedora 21 same thing.. Thanks a lot!

jhhaynes
17th November 2016, 09:26 PM
I have this problem in F24, and sadly the above suggestion didn't fix it.

If I plug in a wired Ethernet the applet appears, and if I then connect to a wireless router the
applet will reappear after a reboot. But it won't appear otherwise.

DBelton
17th November 2016, 09:59 PM
Even if you go into your system settings (Applications-->Settings-->Settings Manager) and open "Session and Startup" On the "Application Autostart" tab, scroll down and check the box next to "Network (Manage your network nonnections)"

Edit:

And no, I don't have the box check to launch Gnome services on startup. That starts way too much crap for me. I prefer to just pick what I want to start :D

jhhaynes
18th November 2016, 01:30 AM
Thanks. I'll try that. Meanwhile I was able to get it to come up just by manually running nm-applet
in a terminal window. A confusing factor is that what I get then is just an empty box, without the
little networking icon.