PDA

View Full Version : Installing core 3 while running RH9

pwhiting
24th December 2004, 03:32 PM
I'd like to install core 3 on a machine that is currently running RH9. To minimize downtime, I'd like to install it on an available partion while my RH9 continues to run and only reboot once the new partition is ready to go with core3 fully installed (instead of rebooting prior to installing core 3 and having the machine down throughout the entire install). Have others done this? Can I just mount up the ISO, chroot, and execute anaconda with the appropriate arguments?

thanks.

owakroeger
24th December 2004, 05:07 PM
I think you should be able to boot to disk 1, start the install, and choose manual discdruid. point to the open partition, and when the option comes to choose the default os, make your choice, and sit back.

owa

pwhiting
24th December 2004, 06:51 PM
Actually, I was hoping to achive the install without booting from CD. Since my box is already running linux, in theory it should be able to execute the install script without booting from the CD - as long as I have the required tools. Mounting the CD and "chroot"ing appropriately should allow me to execute from the CD as if I booted from it, even while I am still running my older distro. I'm kind of surprised that this isn't a more common mode of install/upgrade.

thanks.

kaliostro
26th December 2004, 06:10 PM
I am also in favour of this type of installation. Some time a system can not afford a downtime while CPU cycles are available to run a fresh installation on an available partition.
Is there something intrinsic in the installation procedure that requires exclusive access to the computer resources or is it possible to safely run anaconda the way pwhiting is suggesting?

owakroeger
26th December 2004, 06:22 PM
Still, which ever method you use to start anaconda, the installer, it seems you should still arrive at a screen prompting for where you want to install FC3. Choose manual disk druid, and point to the empty partition. Then, when you get to the next screen, I think, or the one after, you'll be given a choice as to which should be the default. Choose the RH9, and sit back.