PDA

View Full Version : Pictures disorganised

techsupport
19th January 2015, 05:45 AM
I have pictures and graphics disorganised in various directories, with names that give no clue as to their subject or theme. eg. img_12345.jpg

I am looking for a software which will find all images and allow me to
1. use the arrow keys to scroll to the next image without having to navigate folders
2. by pressing an F key will allow me to tag the file and save it

quick access, and quick tagging

I tried gthumb and shotwell, but these seem clumsy and time consuming.

professionals, please advise

thank you in advance

sea
19th January 2015, 07:29 AM
gpicview is what i use to preview images.
It has some edit mode, not sure if its accessable via a F button...

hth

techsupport
21st January 2015, 04:58 AM
I installed gpicview and it doesn't seem to have any of those features.
There's apparently no way to tag photos or quickly rename them.
it also does not allow for cataloguing - it doesn't scan the directories to find the images ; you must know where the images are. It won't find them.

I need something which does the following

1. scans the machine (without crashing gnome) and finds all images
2. allows me to use the arrow keys and quickly tag each photo

This is 2015, there must be something out there like this for Linux.

ocratato
21st January 2015, 05:58 AM
Its sad there hasn't been any good responses for this.
I, too, am on the lookout for a program to tag files, but have not seen anything that seems reasonable.
I would want something that handles photos, videos, music, pdfs etc as my collections for each is getting seriously out of control.
In addition to being very quick to use, as per techsupport's requirements, I would also like to have a hierarchical classification system for the tags - perhaps an ontology - that would allow interesting queries.

One of the problems that seems to occupy those attempts I have looked at is how to keep the tags up-to-date if the user moves or renames the files. Many solutions seem to try to keep their own copies of the files, or their own virtual file systems, which I think is a poor approach.

Conversely, I would not like a solution that modifies the files to store the tags. Some of these files are valuable so I would like to avoid any possibility of them being corrupted by faulty programs.

ozjd
21st January 2015, 07:00 AM
One application is Digikam but I'm guessing it is more than you want. Also it is a KDE app and so will bring in lots of dependencies if it is the only KDE app you have. However I think it is the only real DAM (Digital Asset Management) application for linux.

hieronymous
21st January 2015, 10:07 PM
One application is Digikam but I'm guessing it is more than you want. Also it is a KDE app and so will bring in lots of dependencies if it is the only KDE app you have. However I think it is the only real DAM (Digital Asset Management) application for linux.

+1 for Digikam - I've looked for years, and Digikam is the only linux application that does everything I want ( and will meet all your needs). But like the Gimp it has a bit of a learning curve......

techsupport
23rd January 2015, 02:03 AM
Digikam seems to be the answer, but when I launched it Fedora went into a coma for 20 minutes.

ocratato
23rd January 2015, 02:41 AM
It was probably building thumbnails of your collection, something that seems to be popular with developers, but seems, to me, to be a waste of time and space.

hieronymous
23rd January 2015, 03:48 AM
It was also scanning your drives for file locations to store in it's database.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

jimj_wpg
23rd February 2016, 10:47 AM
I've been using Shotwell for a few years now. It does tagging and can send photos and videos to many social media sites.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Shotwell

Another option that has tagging is the Linux desktop search tool Tracker, although I've read that the tagging function is not completely functional. It is very similar to Apple Mac's Searchlight or Windows Search.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker

ocratato
23rd February 2016, 01:54 PM
From the little I have been able to find of its documentation, it would appear that Tracker might have the feature set I am looking for.

When I was a team leader for a programming project, we had a saying - "If it isn't documented you may as well have not bothered writing it." I think Tracker is very close to falling into that category - its installed but there are no man pages, no info pages, no html pages.

The other problem is that whenever I let it start up it seems to want to fry my CPU. Since I cannot see how to use it, I don't see much point in having it building indexes.

alphacrucis
24th February 2016, 04:28 AM
I find google's picasa to meet my needs on windows but I see that now development has been stopped. There is some call for google to open source it which would be nice as we could have a native linux version. Unlikely to happen though.