PDA

View Full Version : How do you setup mirror disk (raid1) after installed Fedora 20?

RDSweb
6th January 2015, 05:42 PM
Hi All.

Well come back from holiday break and my work fedora 20 is complaining about disk problem. So my question is how do you setup mirror disk (raid 1) after you install Fedora 20?
I have only found it during the installation but not after.

Thank you in advance,
RDSweb

lightman47
7th January 2015, 12:25 AM
It's generally done BEFORE as setting it up tends to 'erase everything on it'.

RDSweb
7th January 2015, 02:40 PM
It's generally done BEFORE as setting it up tends to 'erase everything on it'.

Agree, that generally done BEFORE, but I did not have spare drive to do so. Also I know for a fact that the UNIX system can be done before or after the O/S is install. So are you saying that it cannot be done after?

lightman47
7th January 2015, 02:52 PM
No - but I personally wouldn't do it. If you're really brave and don't mind missing everything if things go sour, you could start the process and READ EVERYTHING to see if there's a warning that all will be erased. I expect that will be the case.

I also wouldn't do it if it's the failing drive - RAID isn't going to stop the failure, just mask it for a short time..

RDSweb
7th January 2015, 04:12 PM
No - but I personally wouldn't do it. If you're really brave and don't mind missing everything if things go sour, you could start the process and READ EVERYTHING to see if there's a warning that all will be erased. I expect that will be the case.

I also wouldn't do it if it's the failing drive - RAID isn't going to stop the failure, just mask it for a short time..

Why wouldn't you do it? I have done this all the time on OpenVMS HP-UX and Tru64 and never had a problem. If the hard drive is going bad it the only way to save the data and keep the server up and available. Are you telling me that Fedora/Linux cannot do it? I find that hard to believe. I have been the computer area for over 20+ years and I know that several O/S allow you to mirrow/shadow disk at the O/S level without having problems. There should be a way for Fedora/Linux to do this.

lightman47
7th January 2015, 04:39 PM
Again - no. I am not telling you that because I don't know. I am only telling you that _I_ wouldn't do it myself because every time I have applied RAID to a drive I've gotten 'all data will be destroyed' warnings.