PDA

View Full Version : what should I use in place of gksu?

ToddAndMargo
4th January 2015, 09:43 AM
Hi All,

What should I use in place of gksu in FC21??

For instance: /usr/bin/gksu -u root "liveusb-creator"

Many thanks,
-T

Also, this guy won't install without it: https://sourceforge.net/projects/autoscan/
(The work around is to install it in EL6 with EL5's gksu and then copy over the /opt/AutoScan directory)

flyingfsck
4th January 2015, 10:19 AM
you should try beesu

upnort
4th January 2015, 10:23 AM
I am still a Fedora newbie, but I had to answer the same question. gksu does not exist in Fedora. I used pkexec and wrote my own polkit-1 policies. There is a gparted policy in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions that probably can be used as a template for your use case.

Copy org.fedoraproject.pkexec.run-gparted.policy to something like org.fedoraproject.pkexec.run-liveusb-creator.policy. Then edit the new file.

You can copy the gparted.desktop file to create a way to insert the 'pkexec liveusb-creator' command into a menu item. To avoid clashing with updates, I installed all of my *.desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications.

I hope this helps! :)

ToddAndMargo
4th January 2015, 10:52 AM
you should try beesu

I had used beesu under el6, but it would not prompt for the password. So, on a hunch, I tried it in my FC21 virtual machine and it works like a champ. Thank you!

Also, I am not finding how to set the user to other than root? (It seems to be missing the USER argument, but not a real big deal.)

-T

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

I am still a Fedora newbie, but I had to answer the same question. gksu does not exist in Fedora. I used pkexec and wrote my own polkit-1 policies. There is a gparted policy in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions that probably can be used as a template for your use case.

Copy org.fedoraproject.pkexec.run-gparted.policy to something like org.fedoraproject.pkexec.run-liveusb-creator.policy. Then edit the new file.

You can copy the gparted.desktop file to create a way to insert the 'pkexec liveusb-creator' command into a menu item. To avoid clashing with updates, I installed all of my *.desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications.

I hope this helps! :)

Wow. I always wondered how Pol Kit worked. If beesu ever fails me ...

Thank you!

vallimar
6th January 2015, 05:31 AM
Did you try installing and using the gksu-polkit package?
You can probably just symlink gksu to gksu-polkit after install and
make sure you use systemctl to enable and start the gksu server.

ToddAndMargo
6th January 2015, 05:47 AM
Did you try installing and using the gksu-polkit package?
You can probably just symlink gksu to gksu-polkit after install and
make sure you use systemctl to enable and start the gksu server.

Not so far. So far beesu has what I need.